Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

When I read things like this it turns my stomach. It's amazing to me just how bad off our State and Federal budgets are. Decades of gross mis-management and excessive salaries and spending have us up against the wall. And now some fool wants to put millions more dollars into an ill-conceived project that will benefit no one but that abomination downstate, if it'll even do that. Add to that the fact that no one in power ever seemed to wonder if our supply of foreign oil would ever run out or even get more expensive and we're in a fine mess. Perfect. If you're an elected official and you're reading this, you put us here. Your greed and self-serving agendas likely made you rich and powerful, but you've put this country and our state on the brink of ruin. THANKS A LOT. Please do us all a favor and step down and let a businessman run things from now on. If I handled my business or even my personal finances as poorly as you've handled our tax dollars I'd have been out of business long ago, and my home would have been foreclosed on.

I'll never vote for a lifetime politician again. They all make me sick.

That being said, I'm going to write our fine Governor and my local representatives and express my displeasure over this proposed disaster.

AGREE!!!! It's never enough money no matter how much we give them.

• 5 months later...

59,000 homes? Where are those that don't have electricity now? Huh? More folks are moving out of this state than in. Must be the Amish are going to have electricity now?..well its wind power I guess.

Keep that crap out of my sunset!!! Blink blink blink blink junk!

Cent frum my notso smart fone

• 2 months later...

Please check out Apex "clean" Energy website lighthousewind.com and then join us in the opposition at lakeontarioturbines.com.

Apex is in the process of NY state Article 10 filing for construction of a series of 570ft wind turbines along Lake Ontario between Yates (rt 63) and Somerset and placed between Rt 18 and Lakeshore Rd.

They have gone about this in mostly a clandestine manner. They have been talking to landowners since 2013 but have just sprung on the public late in 2014….and after many of the seasonal people had left for the winter. 

Apex previously tried to get offshore windmills into Lake Ontario. The current plan shows a boundary extended into the lake although Dan Fitzgerald the project manager has stated that 'no offshore wind turbines are planned."

They are planning to hook into the former Kintigh Power station (now AES). Part of the Apex contract requests the the person offered a contract to NOT discuss its details with with ANYONE.  

The website says they expect to generate @ 200000 mW of power…with each turbine generating @ 3mW that is somewhere between 60-70 turbines……to generate enough eletricity to power 53,000 average homes…which is less than .7% of all homes in NY state. 

Do we want this blight on our shoreline??? Right next to Golden Hill state park and 30 mile point light??

If you believe this is a crime against our lakeshore, please add your voice to ours.

Edited by Sooz-e-q

Thanks for posting Sooz-e-q. Dirty, dirty pool. A travesty of gigantic proportions if allowed to happen. No account whatsoever of what the true REAL "new money" comes from in this area--TOURISM.

I can see them laughing behind the scenes at their brilliance, first take Somerset(AES) offline and then "save the day" with this fraudulent religion. Just another attempt to line their pockets while hoodwinking the "little people."

Being good stewards for future generations does not include destroying landscapes and migratory bird populations.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again !!  This article has a lot of flaws . I am a resident of the area and all the people I have spoken with were against the power transmission lines . This is the first time I have heard of no buyers for the power. Now they have scaled down ( for now ) the number of turbines . Remember the story of the camel getting his nose under the tent ? They now want to run the transmission line underwater to Oswego county . Then what ? They will need power lines from there . Having lodging and food service and work boats ( and nose to tail semis to haul all the turbines ) using the public dock at Henderson Harbor will seriously affect the boat launch at that site . I for one will be there to vote NO to this assault . One thing of note : these developers are targeting Sacketts Harbor for economic incentives  . Maybe starting a war between Henderson and Sacketts ?

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Another-Wind-Project-Proposed-For-Galloo-Island-292257531.html

Edited by chinook35

The talk of running the transmission lines underwater started back in 2012, I believe, when it became public knowledge there was "hush-hush" talk about putting a wind farm in Lake Ontario.

Think about that transmission line's path (get a map of the lake, if it helps) to Nine Mile. See where the line would be in relation to the rivers? Because of the electromagnetic force sent out by the transmission lines, it would be basically repelling the fish away, rendering the fishing industry non-existent in the eastern basin of the lake.

A friend of the family who lives in Oswego has been following this all very closely since the wind farm proposal first appeared and he's been keeping me in the loop, filling me in on what I didn't find out on my own. He is very "in" with local and county representatives and often has information before it hits the newspapers. He is following this section of the forum, as well.

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In Kingston ontario we have windmills all over Wolfe island and they ran a main power line from there under the St Lawrence into a main power station in Kingston.

This has not affected the fishing at all in the area. It continues to be tremendous walleye and musky fishing and I know salmon/trout still follow the river into some of the local tribs. This electo magnetic force is likely false or atleast not a concern. If anything I think this cable may attract fish as I have caught a lot of fish within a couple hundred yards on either side of it.

I should add that I agree the windmills are ugly and a huge waste of money.

Edited by BigMac

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This electo magnetic force is likely false or at least not a concern

...only because only two studies have been done on and the pro-windbags have done everything they can to discredit them.  Hope no one snags their rigg'r weight on it.  I wonder why they always post no anchor, no swim signs around underwater cables?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

...only because only two studies have been done on and the pro-windbags have done everything they can to discredit them.  Hope no one snags their rigg'r weight on it.  I wonder why they always post no anchor, no swim signs around underwater cables?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Does not the use of a coaxial  cable effectively neutralize any  electro-magnetic field that might be produced by these underwater power lines?

Edited by rolmops

Coax cable does effectively neutralize magnetic field of AC current as long as there is no damage done to the outer skin..as caused by anchors, downrigger weights, and Ray Koziatek swimming with a spear gun. Leakage of magnetic radiation ..NOT a field, so therefore, the public exclusion zone going right through your happy fishing grounds. Wouldn't matter, the water intrusion from such damage penetrating to the core conducting material will boil as the loss of transmission power disipates to the surrounding environment, and your fish will not be there.

Cables have to come thru shallow water someplace to get to shore.  Anyone that's ever been to Port Bay has probably experienced how large stones get thrown around by the near shore currents.  i.e. fill in the channel.  Guys from Sandy can attest as to how a sandbar that's here today may be gone tomorrow.  Nothing like a little "sand/stone" blasting the cable.  Given how poorly overhead lines are maintained, I doubt lines in the water would be maintained any better.

Also, Co-Ax cable, the size they need would cost more than the "dang" turbines.  Remember we're not talking a 12v antenna cable here.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 6 months later...

Looks like the battle is still joined . Her's a link to a story in the Watertown Daily Times . I can imagine 30 turbines to get the camel's nose under the tent . Then what , another 300 or 400 ? and a little more info concerning the 30 mile long underwater cable to carry the power to Oswego would be nice . 

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/henderson-residents-to-galloo-island-wind-developer-tall-turbines-all-pain-no-gain-20151105

Edited by chinook35

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Galloo Island Wind ,LLC    This is the name of the new project ,under new ownership .Hudson sold out to Apex Clean Energy Holdings , LLC .Apex is filing a "notice of filing  of preliminary scoping statement" .The  notice is too big to include here . But, the website for Apex is :[email protected]  Also it states any interested party of the public may file a request with the DPS secretary to receive all copies of notices concerning the project .  Address is  [email protected]   . The 30 mile long 145kv AC cable to carry the power to Oswego is going to be addressed in a separate filing ( wonder why ? ) .I already requested copies of all filings . It appears this new company is trying an end around . These turbines will be in a position to affect some prime fishing waters near Henderson and the cable ( which I find even more troublesome ) will travel across Mexico Bay under the greatest Salmon and Lake trout fishery on Lake Ontario . Take a look at a chart of Lake O and lay a course from Galloo to Oswego and you will see what I mean . Hope this project gets shot down and we fisherpeople have the AAA to do it .

• 4 weeks later...

They put these in and take our fishing then I'm going back to Atlanta. Thought moving here I would get a better job , which I did. A good job , yes. But being happy is more important to me. Take launching fees for example. I checked on a 1 year launching pass.80.00 here in New York. Georgia you can buy a season pass for 30.00.

Edited by backoneerie2016

• 5 months later...