2/5/12 - First Lake O Trolling report!!!!

With such great access to the Lake and it's bays we decided to take the girls perch fishing Sunday morning on Sodus. We got there about 8am and hit the water. We moved and moved and moved, but we just couldn't get any schools on the graph. About 10:30am Captain Jack's breakfast was calling our names. Over breakfast we decided to head out to the lake and give it a go for a little while. None of us had ever fished this early in the season. We hung a left out the chute, put her on plane, and ran a few miles West. We sat down and started to rig. We ran six flat lines using baby Z-boards. Boy are those things nice for Spring Brown Trout fishing! We used various Rapala, Rebel, and Smithwick stick baits run anywhere from 100-150' back. Once we were set-up we felt that one fish would make our day! The water temps were cold and all we found was 35.9-36.1. We were also able to locate some colored water.

The first fish didn't take long, and not long after that the second one came. We quickly found our troll and worked the colored water, which was moving West, for about 2.5/3 hours. We ended the day with close to 30 bites. One pushed 10-11 pounds, a few in the 6-8 pound range, and then your typical cookie cutter Spring Brown Trout. Many doubles, one triple, and we came close to a quad. We worked 7' of water out to 30' of water off one of the points a few clicks West of Sodus. Speed on the graph was 1.4-1.7 on the paddle wheel, but I think we were a little faster than that on GPS. Either way it was a blast, and we answered a question many people have been asking lately. You can catch them out there in the dead of Winter. You just have to be able to get out there to experience it!

Here is some Brown Trout please no!

IMG_20120205_123932.jpg

IMG957880.jpg

IMG_20120205_154656.jpg

Hey Rick, I suppose Casey wouldn't let you put any back, after all he is from Pennsylvania :rofl::rofl: Great pics, WTG.

Pennsyltuckians.......I was surprised he let some 18" fish go to be honest. I thought the motto for them guys was over the rail in the pail, or was it no need for a ruler put that one in the cooler?????

Yankee - That's awesome man.. I called Billy at Bay Bridge shop yesterday and he said the bay had ice but the Coast Guard launch might provide access to the lake. Is that where you launched your boat? If so I'm going to go up and stay a night or two. Might even leave tonight! :beer:

The smelt started showing up in the intake at work a week ago. 4 weeks earlier than last year. Ncie report Rick.

P.S. I see your girlfriend is still around. Is this a record or did you get married? :lol:

The smelt started showing up in the intake at work a week ago. 4 weeks earlier than last year. Ncie report Rick.

P.S. I see your girlfriend is still around. Is this a record or did you get married? :lol:

Not a record yet, and I'm definitely not married! I have a 3yr rule with a trial run of living together. Niether have been passed yet.....lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Super Nice fish and great report....a great way to start the lake "O" season !!! Do we now wish for continued mild winter ....or closer to average cold and snow ?I'm wondering what this continued mild winter, and lack of snowpack might do to the spring flows and temps in the rivers ,streams and tribs around the state . Well, maybe the streams and tribs will be ok with a continued mild winter, if our spring is cool, with enough rain.......