Neighbors dogs are running deer

Patriot

About a month ago I caught my neighbors 2 dogs running a couple of deer and I told him about it.

Today about 4pm I caught them running deer again. I called him and left a message.

I'm trying to be a nice guy because I've known him since he was about 10 years old, he's 40 now. I told him thats as bad as cyotes running deer

Deer season is next week or so.

Do I call the dog warden if I catch them running deer?

Edited by Patriot

I would call the warden. If it happened again I would solve The problem. I have same issue in kendal. Last week I had a neighbor Behind me tell me 2little happers were chasing a large buck. I wait all yr to hunt. If I see a dog chasing DEER I will shot. Most of area around me is woods. Once they start they will continue.

As a dog owner who also has had more than one hunt ruined by dog chasing I would say don't shoot the dog.  I would be PISSED if someone shot my dog.   It will only lead to worse problems.  Confront the owner in person.  If that don't work get video footage and go to the authorities with proof.

From a legal standpoint, Shooting a dog which is chasing deer is illegal. You could be charged with an animal cruelty count, possibly criminal mischief ( Dogs are owned property). You would also open yourself for a lawsuit as well.

My advice is to contact the local dog warden as well as the DEC....Good luck

Missdemeanor is right. judges take a real hard line when they think folks have taken the law into their own hands....and a civil lawsuit isn't a whole lot of fun either....it is very frustrating though....

I didn't write about this in any other forum.

Yea, so if I see it happen again, I guess I'll call the dog warden.

What a pia. I had no neighbors for 25 years. Now I have 2 and both have dogs and both let their dogs run free.

I mean I live in the woods and all but still there's a leash law in my town.

I had dogs, one passed last year. The thing is that they were never off a leash. But then again they were a breed that would run. A Malmute & a Husky.

I love dogs, cats and animals in general.

I'm done venting

That would be a tough call for me now, and 98% chance I would not.

There was a time i would have not given it a second thought.

The dog(s) could very well be the family pet, and could break the heart of a child if it was killed?

DEC, dog warden, local law enforcement should be able to curb that.

Years ago, I was in my treestand for several hours one morning with a decoy placed in bow range. The area was thick beech cover and had multiple cotton balls soaked in estrus throughout. The neighbor's 2 dogs were the only animals interested, checking out each scent and the decoy. I really was tempted! The neighbor lives 1/2 mile away and often allowed her 3 horses to roam and forage for themselves, claiming they kept breaking through a non-existent fence around her pasture. They destroyed my recently planted field of seedlings and I had to chase them off. These neighbors were trash, and I'm glad they lost the property and are gone now.

The dogs were not harmed because they were just being dogs. But if the owners had been present..........

Dan.....I completely agree with your statement about cats. I used to belong to a hunt club down south of Canisteo. We had a license to release pheasants and we did. Usually about 60 birds each weekend. More than once we would release in the AM and by the afternoon hunt time, we were finding bodies. I initially though we had a big fox or coyote issue. I set up a bunch of pheasant carcasses out and sat on them. No predators just three nasty barn cats from the neighbor's Farm. As much as I wanted to, I didn't drop the hammer on them. We went to the farmer and explained what was going on....He was decent, and apologized. A week or so later, he stopped buy with a sH!t eating grin and said we wouldn't see anymore cats around. Good guy for sure.  Fast forward 15 years and the Farmer comes over to tell us he's having an issue with Black bears tearing up his corn fields...Says they are causing thousands of dollars in crop damage to the farms in the area.....Come Saturday, I plan on returning the favor to him...Look out Yogi and Boo Boo.....Your going to be walking into a hot L.Z.

About 10 years ago I had Beagles and my to males got loose during the deer gun season, now my dogs didn't chase deer, but were excellent rabbit hounds, I had my female bread with a Champion male out of Tennessee, cost me dearly but they

listened well and love to hunt, and with all the guns cracking all around they got loose and they didn't ever come back. A friend of mine in a diner not to far away over heard two young guys, move in's from the city spouting off about these 2 beagles with florescent orange collars were running deer so they shot the both of them and left them lay. I knew where they were hunting it was in the swamp behind the house (my dogs don't chase deer, I've seen where they jumped them out of the nest and they would snoop around and pick up the rabbit and take off on the rabbit again) I contacted the game comm. after I found the 2 dogs and showed them where they were shot, and told them about who did it, they said that it wasn't enough evidence to do anything, I said I just lost a $1000.00 in dogs and your not even going to talk to them, that's right Mr. Frey we need more evidence, I said why not take the dogs and see if there's and bullet remains that might be in the dogs, they said that the shots were pass through and no evidence would be found. The dogs were blown about in half. With no help from the worthless game comm. I knew where these A$$holes lived and I got my chance once there cat ventured over to my house and got after my chickens, needless to say they got there cat returned in the mail box. I set a leg hold trap and caught the cat in the trap and with leather gloves I duct taped its legs together and put it in their mail box with a note next time you shoot one of my dogs, it will get ugly. I never herd a word back and don't see them around any more. Rumor has it they lost the house to the bank, best thing that ever could of happened!!  (I didn't kill their cat) The animal shouldn't have to take brunt of someone else's stupidity. They can't decipher right or wrong, so taking it out on someone's pet isn't the correct way either!!

I didn't mean to set off a firestorm. I too have hunting dogs that are never on leach but are well trained. Anyway I wish I knew the landowner of these 2 dogs. Where I hunt it is a lot of woods and the neighbors nearby I know don't have these dogs. We contacted people before and the reaction was if you can't find them how arw we going to tract them. The dogs that is. I have more then once actually about every other year had the state police come down for issues at the land. I was very frustrated when I wrote this 1st post. We do dqm in our area and the amount of time I have been putting in I'm not seeing much. All make sence if we have dogs running deer. Then answer me this. If you have this problem. Only see or hear about these dogs chasing. How is the law going to catch these dog's. I can't find landowners and I know they have a lot more important stuff to deal with. To be honest the only shooting I do is at game birds and deer. Thanks John

I had a similar problem last year. I had multiple trail cam pictures of dogs all over my property. I asked around and found the owner. I went to Hus house and told them I had the pictures and I don't want his dogs on my property. Never had a problem again. From what I heard I was not the fist person to talk to him about it. The owners of the dogs were fined $200 in 2011. The DEC fined them.

Edited by JRS

Not as messed up as you'd think. I wouldn't do it myself, but I know a guy who had a neighbor that let his dog run free and chase deer. The animal got a taste of it and went after the neighbor's small kid in his back yard. The kid ended up having to get multiple stitches, the dog had to be put down and the neighbor was cited. Now that is messed up.

Because of many of the same issues brought out in the stories above, particularly Pap's with the beagles, you'd be crazy to pull the trigger. But to consider it...yeah, maybe. I can see how it might be tempting. 

Obviously, the best bet is to contact the owner (most of the time you wouldn't even know who it was, though) or an ECO. I wouldn't be confident that you'll get resolution without the owner's cooperation, but them's the breaks.

As a dog owner 1. What is your dog doing on someone else's property. 2. What is your dog doing in the woods during deer season? Would I shoot someone's dog? No. But I would not feel sorry for someone if it did happen to their dog. There are leash laws for a reason. People that own animals need to take care of their animals. It is not ok to let your animal roam free and do what it wants.

As a houndsman and dog lover there is no reason to shoot someones dog unless he comes after people. If you have problem with a dog call dec/dog control. Keep in mind a rabbit/coyote/coon hunter has a right to be afield just like the deer hunter. I personally wouldnt take a dog out till AFTER deer season, but legally i could.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can tell you that folks around my neck of the woods are serious about their deer hunting. And I know that these people wouldn’t think twice about putting a dog down for running deer. You can’t stop a dog from running deer after they got a taste of the meat, whether it be from a kill or even an old leg bone. Where did the dog evolve from, the Wolf. Like I said, its as bad as a Coyote running a deer, family pet or not. The dogs are not supposed to be off leash, period.

And if the owner doesn't care about the well being of the dog, they shouldn’t own a dog.

How do you like it when you’re out trolling and a guy on a jet ski is doing circles around your boat? Very frustrating!

See the photo of the Coyote next to my user name.

It wouldn't be there if I didn't love animals

Of course I'm not going to harm the dogs.

Edited by Patriot

I hunted a friend's family property in Dalton years ago & we had a pack of 7 dogs come through running deer. The owner told me to shoot on sight but I couldn't do it. For protection, sure, but not under those circumstances...

Sent from my C5155 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How do you like it when you’re out trolling and a guy on a jet ski is doing circles around your boat? Very frustrating!

Frustrating, yes. But i doubt anybody would take their flare gun out and shoot at the person on the jet ski for it.

I too hate it when a dog is running deer on my property, but as many people have already mentioned, i think there are a lot of alternatives than to taking matters into your own hands and shooting the dogs (especially if you know who the dogs belong to).