So I've been to Oswego 3 times in 8 days. Threw the entire box at them 5 times in 12 days.

Ff, spoons etc. Ran from 1.8 to 3.0 . Fished 110 to 135 in 250 ft of water to 350. Marked fish, marked bait. Watched people catch fish. I have a fish hawk td. Used it 4 to 6 times a day to be in the right water.

In 5 total outings 1 ea 5 lb stealhead. I suck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't get too discouraged Bob. One of the things to think about around now is when you are dealing with stagng mature kings (sometimes piled up like cord wood) you forget about water temps and fish to irritate them into hitting. You spot them and keep dragging bright colored, highly active (like J plugs etc.) right through them time and time again until you get them to budge, .When they are staging their feeding response is greatly reduced and sometimes shut off.The ones being caught may have been taken by this strategy.One of the things I find interesting in many of the pics being posted is that the fish still look very silver without much black coloration.....seems odd at this point in the season not to see more coloration...wondering if major  runs may run late this year....

Edited by Sk8man

48 minutes ago, Bassin Bob said:

So I've been to Oswego 3 times in 8 days. Threw the entire box at them 5 times in 12 days.

Ff, spoons etc. Ran from 1.8 to 3.0 . Fished 110 to 135 in 250 ft of water to 350. Marked fish, marked bait. Watched people catch fish. I have a fish hawk td. Used it 4 to 6 times a day to be in the right water.

In 5 total outings 1 ea 5 lb stealhead. I suck.

Glad I'm not the only one having a hard time lol! You can read the reports here and see people doing well, but remember you don't usually hear from the people that had bad days! We fished 8 hours today outta mexico managed 1 8lb king and a 1lb brown that we didn't notice until we pulled lines to go home. Add in 3hrs of drive time to the lake and back... yeah bad day here too.

It seems like most of my salmon this year have been on meat rigs with mountain dew, light green/ dark green on one side and chrome on the other side. White spin doctor with green dots, big green e chip with white crinkle on one side and chrome on the other. I don't know the names because after I open them up I throw the wrapper away. The herring I made my own brine with pickling salt and powdered milk and water. I even used brow trout trips this week in the brine and was catching fish. When I filet the fish I left a half of inch on of meat on it. Then I cut with the spots on top down to the white belly meat. Had it on a dedicated rigger this week and caught 4 salmon from 18 yo 26 lbs. Too funny. The other 11 inch e chip that has been getting hammered is one that is like the yellow on the left on both sides. Keep throwing stuff at them they will bite. I have been catching most all of my salmon at 1.9 to 2.1 this last couple of weeks at the ball according to my Fish Hawk X4D. Good luck now go slam some salmon tomorrow.

20170825_083734.jpg

20170826_084842.jpg

This is a bad picture for what I am pointing out ...but if you look at the meat rig in the right side of the picture ... I use that with familiar bite herring and the paddle shown above from the other poster and has done well. I can't get bites on anything else. Except last weekend seemed to be all on spoons. I am the same way... toss the package and forget the name . I should really figure it out so when it gets lost I can buy another .

IMG_1560.JPG

Thanks for the picture and advice. I'll hit the lake tomorrow. It's frustrating for sure. I run a ff all the time I'm fishing. I change them up and have run green , green glow , all types. White, green crome, dream weavers, all type dodgers, 3 inch to huge.
I've gear some people use black carbon type spoons with some luck. But I've never seen one or know who makes them.
I circled a bunch of marks near bait last evening for 3 hours. Then went deeper but no marks. So I came back to the same point and circled for another hour and a half. Zip. Tomorrow should another day.

18 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Change your handle to "Salmon Bob" and  you will start catching. 

X3 What Gill-T said.  In case if you give up on fishing, I would like to buy your Fish Hawk.and your other fishing gear.

Kidding aside, even tough my LOU name is something other than salmon and trout, you got to be patient. Your best bet is to invest in a reputable local charter and learn from them.  There are experienced anglers on LOU who always have open seats.

Keep notes on what does not work and what works.

Best of luck.

The most important advice I can give is that you have to stay positive. The fishing has not been as good as it use to be. You have to be willing to work for your fish. Change your presentation and change your depths. I was up over the last few days and I earned each fish I caught. Ice house flasher with a glow hammer fly worked best. Caught fish in 130' out to 300' . Dipsy rods were hot out 315' and 400' @ 2.5 setting. Fish were all over on the finder but bites were sporadic. Monkey see monkey do? My advice: Don't be afraid to switch it up. Heard guys complaining on the VHF while I was netting fish. Stay confident and fish hard and it will pay off. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

21 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Change your handle to "Salmon Bob" and  you will start catching. 

Crap I shouldn't have let my 12 year old daughter name me and included salmon in my name, didn't think of that! I want to catch more fish too!