Big ass wasps nest

12 minutes ago, Frogger said:

There is an insecticide powder that the commercial pest control guys use. Not sure of the name of it. Had to hire an outfit a couple of years ago for a nest that was going up behind the siding. Once he puffed it in it took 2 days and the nest was toast. Apparently they track the powder in the colony and kills them. Someone on here might know the name of it. 

I seen a professional on youtube get one off the side of a house and he used some stuff that killed them all in less that a minute with one shot. He mentioned the name of the stuff but the research I did would indicate you got to be licensed to buy it. Also the nest was about 1/4 to 1/3 the size as the one I got to deal with. Also he was in a bee suite.

Edited by spoonfed-1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

Bigger than a basketball ball. Anybody ever ****ed with one this big? Plan is blast it from 2 sides tonight, drop the branch tomorrow night with a 3rd can ready. What do you think? Any better ideas? Thanks.

20231012_164532.thumb.jpg.9204e1375bfbcc9b9318e80db4d3a802.jpg

Actually they do pollinate as they are big consumers of flower nectar although they don’t make honey it is used make the comb portion of the nest and food for larvae and juveniles.  If it must be destroyed, I would call a professional exterminator since it’s being removed due to sale of the property.

6 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Actually they do pollinate as they are big consumers of flower nectar although they don’t make honey

I stand corrected. After some research I found they do pollinate. More so in late summer according to the article I read. After more than 6 decades of life, I can honestly say I've never seen it happen.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Had a big nest up in the peakof my house.  1st thought was just get the big ladder out, spray it, knock it down.  2nd thought was what if the buggers come after me & I fall off ladder. (20 ft in air)  I called an exterminator.  1/2 of an hour after he sprayed it, he swept up over 200 dead ones in the driveway with a couple still buzzing around the peak.  They haven't been back.

I had one of these under the shrink wrap on a boat several years ago.  After debating if I was going to attempt it I decided to turn it over to the pros.

As I recall it was a reasonable charge to have it handled.  Or less of a sting than trying it myself. 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:49 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

I seen a professional on youtube get one off the side of a house and he used some stuff that killed them all in less that a minute with one shot. He mentioned the name of the stuff but the research I did would indicate you got to be licensed to buy it. Also the nest was about 1/4 to 1/3 the size as the one I got to deal with. Also he was in a bee suite.

I simple  find the in/out hole and late at night I hold a flame (on a stick  or board) right outside the hole in nest (they're not always at the bottom.  As they become alarmed and try to fly out the flame singes there wings and they  drop  helplessly to the gnd. Go in nxt day and  finish it off very few (hornets, yellow jackets, wasp, etc.