Center consoles for lake o

I run a 19.5’ center console on Ontario and love it. Very easy to fish alone and the high gunwales feel safe in 3-4’s. No complaints from me. Would like to upgrade to 21-23’ eventually. 

D76A53C4-4AE2-4DC6-8105-948CC04B6072.jpeg

740751EA-D1EB-4C40-883E-589337959A0B.jpeg

8DE6F99D-7D17-418E-95F5-694F8AFBB0F5.jpeg

• Like 1

There are more center consoles on the lake now than there were twenty years ago or thirty years ago.  I own a small one now.  I am not posting this to knock them because they have a place, it just can be cold, damp and wet in the early spring and the fall which is likely a turn off to some potential buyers.   Some buyers have family considerations.   It can also be very nice in July and August when the air temperature is hitting 90.

• Like 1

They do have there place and grew in popularity and size because of warm salt water fishing. Fast to run 80 miles to the canyons in a hour and a half hours instead of 4 , think tourney fishing. Disposable quick engine replacement time vs inboards, fish from any spot on the boat for most species and a bunch of other things. 

Lake O with the long spring we have is not warm , dry or hospitable. So give me a hardtop with enclosure that breaks the wind and is always warmer , a place to change ,have dry clothes , store my gear out of the sun and elements etc . There is no reason to fish off the boat at any other place than the stern deck area for Lake O and Kings . And with the windows and eisenglass open it's as cool on a hot day as the miniscule shade you get from  a CCs T-Top. Which  is good for one person. Don't see any Charters on O  running them for a bunch of reasons. Again they have there place and are great boats , just not for King hunting on O . 

• Like 1

I have a center console fishing boat, 20’. It is a great boat on the finger lakes but I learned my lesson on Lake O in it. Fishing on a fairly nice day, 1 to 2 foot chop turned into 3 and 4 footers. I was able to get turned around and headed to port into the waves using power to go up and over, finally took one over the bow, everything washes to the back of the boat, weight shift, about 6” off water etc, Floor scuppers worked properly and another wave over the bow! Repeat so to speak, those were the only two. That was my last trip to Ontario with that boat! 

Be careful and pick your days carefully!

• Like 1

We sell quite a few Robolo's and most stay here on Lake Ontario. The new 25 and 27' models offer more room in the back, which is nice for our style of fishing. If you're looking for something new stop in and see me at Krenzer Marine.

• 2 weeks later...

i have fished in a lot worse boats. your boat would be great on most days. just remember to slow down in rough water. and when traveling in rough water you may need enough power to keep the front up so you don't take to much water over the bow. i had a 21' cobia glass open bow boat and it was a wonderful big water boat and took very little water over the bow or sides. the worst was hitting the wavers from the side and they would splash up over the side of the boat and the wind would blow water over the side getting us very wet but not enough to worry about sinking or anything. with the center console you wont have much cover like my boat did so look forward  to taking a shower when you encounter rough water hitting the side of your boat. i have had my boat in 5' and 6' waves and we just ran slow at about 11 to 14 mph for a long ride in. my boat took the waves with little effort. a boat as big and deep as it is will take brough water if you dont try getting there in a hurry.

• 5 months later...

I had a 21 for a couple of years, there were pro's and con's. The pro's were it seemed to handle rough water better than most boats, it was very dry for a 21. The con's were it was only 8 feet wide, which is a little slim for a couple people, also I didn't like how exposed the stern was. I ended up getting rid of it for that reason, it wasn't safe for a young child. 

26 minutes ago, jth21usa said:

I had a 21 for a couple of years, there were pro's and con's. The pro's were it seemed to handle rough water better than most boats, it was very dry for a 21. The con's were it was only 8 feet wide, which is a little slim .

The narrower the beam the easier it cuts through the water . Ever notice the  "     Cigarette " type  hulls , designed like that for a reason.  Now when your trolling they rock way to much for my liking . Don't even think about putting it in the ditch . Most CCs are wet boats  as in only the guy behind the console escapes being soaked in any sort of conditions, exception being flat calm. 

• Thanks 1