Repowering 18’ Lund Alaskan

I’m investigating changing out my 17 year old 60 hp Mercury with 3,000 hours with a new 90 hp.  The Mercury has certainly served me well and still runs fine but it’s time.
  Right now I’m looking at Yamaha and Mercury. Going to also have troll control install so I can troll more slowly.

Most of my river rat friends are recommending the Yamaha. Prices are similar and both offering a 5 year warranty. Both places also have good service.

I’m also getting a quote on a Suzuki but am not sure on warranty and service there.

I’m also considering hydraulic steering. Any thoughts as it’s a couple thousand extra.

Regardless of brand biases, most engines are of good quality these days. If I were in the market for an engine, I would prioritize finding a reliable dealer that offers excellent post-sales maintenance and service history. Based on that, I would then choose among the brands they sell and service, taking into account the warranty and cost of the various brands.

Shop the dealer, not the brand.

Edited by John E Powell

59 minutes ago, Shakemsam said:

Either will treat you well. The only issue I see is finding one. A buddy at work was on a waiting list for a 70 Yam for over a year.

They have a 70 and a 90. Can have it done by brown trout season!

Both have a good reputation but after all the good years you got with the merc I say stay with them especially is there is local reliable service 

Most dealers are required to install it but there are a few that will sell a crate engine to install yourself and with no warranty issues.  Yamaha 90 V-Max SHO is a better choice than standard 90.  Neck snapping torque out of the hole. Trolls great also.20230228_144550.thumb.jpg.302d3d1f3283fc13fec34746c790f20b.jpg

20230228_135433.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve been running a 2021 Lund 1875 Pro Guide with a 2022 Honda 90 tiller last two seasons (waited 4/5 months for motor).  I could have had Mercury or Honda (same price) and at that time Honda warranty was 5 years vs 3 for Mercury.  I went Honda for that reason.  IMO you don’t need hydraulic steering on a 90.  My 90 doesn’t steer any harder than the 60 2 stroke tiller I replaced on my last Lund.  I don’t think you can wrong on either the Mercury or Yamaha.  Go with dealer you feel will give best service.  I wouldn’t be afraid of Suzuki either- not as common in NE but they are reliable as well.

For what its worth, I had great luck buying and servicing my yamahas through Clayton Marina when I lived in Sackets. I bought a new kicker from them, had my F200 serviced, and had a couple warranty issues handled with no problem whatsoever on the T9.9. Couldnt say anything bad about that place for sure. Wish I still lived closer. 

Before you go up from 60 to 90, you should check the capacity that the boat specs will allow you to put on your boat. Too much weight or too much power may become very problematic in case you go beyond the coastguard ratings/specs for your your boat and will almost automatically void your insurance coverage in case of an accident on the water.

I was at a show today and had a chance to talk with another guide that has a Lund 1875 Pro Guide with 90 hp Mercury.  He has Titan power steering and rpm control which he likes both.  He’s running a Vantage electric on the back and 80lb terrova on front for boat control.  Sounds like my Honda has a little more top end and I have 8 hp Honda kicker to troll and the same terrova up front.  He’s happy with Mercury only issue he mentioned was that he has to pull prop to change lower unit fluid.  Makes some extra steps but makes sure prop shaft is lubed.  Flip a coin I think good choices on all the motors in that class.

Made my decision and I’m going with a 90 hp Yamaha with troll control and hydrolic steering from Clayton Marina. I’ll be ready to roll as soon as I can get to an open launch. Which may be right now!

First up walleye, perch, and brown trout.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:42 AM, rolmops said:

Before you go up from 60 to 90, you should check the capacity that the boat specs will allow you to put on your boat. Too much weight or too much power may become very problematic in case you go beyond the coastguard ratings/specs for your your boat and will almost automatically void your insurance coverage in case of an accident on the water.

• Like 1

I sell both brands mentioned. We sell them on package deals (with boats), and loose. I've been in this business since the Summer of 2018 and I don't think I can fill up a hand with fingers on the warranty claims against these engines combined. To be honest the warranty claims I can remember were from I/O boat engines. 

Clayton Marine sells a lot of Yamaha's. I believe you're in good hands. If anyone else is in the market for a re-power we have financing options if needed.

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

I sell both brands mentioned. We sell them on package deals (with boats), and loose. I've been in this business since the Summer of 2018 and I don't think I can fill up a hand with fingers on the warranty claims against these engines combined. To be honest the warranty claims I can remember were from I/O boat engines. 

Clayton Marine sells a lot of Yamaha's. I believe you're in good hands. If anyone else is in the market for a re-power we have financing options if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

My 90 hp Yamaha is now on my Lund and I’ll pick it up when I return home. We’re headed to South Carolina for some fishing and a hog hunt but will be back home in two weeks. 
I’m excited to get my boat in the water and chase some late season walleyes and early perch, and browns. Looks like launches should remain open till we return.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

Made my decision and I’m going with a 90 hp Yamaha with troll control and hydrolic steering from Clayton Marina. I’ll be ready to roll as soon as I can get to an open launch. Which may be right now!

First up walleye, perch, and brown trout.

by you already buying the hydraulic steering this post is a bit late. the only reason I could see it helping with a 90HP motor would be if you are planning to put a kicker motor and an autopilot on the big motor. then when you are trolling you can use the kicker attached to the big motor and use the autopilot without the key for the big motor ever being turned on.

now that you have the hydraulic steering you need to troll with a small kicker. they make all types of steering kits that connect the motors together up front. in my opinion, they are much better for outboard to outboard steering over the EZ-steer. having hydraulic steering takes all the pressure off your autopilot and it will last much longer that way.