Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dances with Fish

Advise on 1999 Evinrude 225HP

Bought a 1999 Lund this year and went against all the advise posted here not to purchase without confirming the motor working.  ;

Learned that lesson..  This boat has a 1999 Evinrude 225HP Ficht,   Was repaired at a Marina and took it out on Saturday.  Ran good

out but when we came in the engine had no power after 1/4 throttle.  Sort of skips after 1/4 throttle.  The mechanic is young 

and most likely not an expert on this engine.  A few questions:

1. is there an experienced mechanic out there that is familiar with this engine that can work on it preferably in the Syracuse area?

2. Knowing this is an older engine I have a few choices - is it worth fixing and having confidence it will operate without issue or should

I consider looking at getting a different engine.

I know these engines have a history.  Perhaps a mechanic that is familiar with these may be the best option.

18 minutes ago, Dances with Fish said:

Bought a 1999 Lund this year and went against all the advise posted here not to purchase without confirming the motor working.  ;

Learned that lesson..  This boat has a 1999 Evinrude 225HP Ficht,   Was repaired at a Marina and took it out on Saturday.  Ran good

out but when we came in the engine had no power after 1/4 throttle.  Sort of skips after 1/4 throttle.  The mechanic is young 

and most likely not an expert on this engine.  A few questions:

1. is there an experienced mechanic out there that is familiar with this engine that can work on it preferably in the Syracuse area?

2. Knowing this is an older engine I have a few choices - is it worth fixing and having confidence it will operate without issue or should

I consider looking at getting a different engine.

I know these engines have a history.  Perhaps a mechanic that is familiar with these may be the best option.

Contact Hank, L&M from this board and see if he can help you out. He's in Port Bay so not real far.

• Like 1

Not every ficht had problems, the ones that did died a long time ago. Treat it like any other nearly 20 year old outboard when making a decision to repair or replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Call L&M Hank.     Got fresh gas ?  Try K-100 or Sea Foam, maybe water in gas tank.  Maybe a spun prop?

Dances you have a PM

I think these yearshave a limp mode when you have a bad temperature sensor that only lets it rev to a certain rpm. May be worth checking 

• Like 1

It does sound like it is in limp mode need to get a scan tool on it and read codes .

Appreciate the advise,  the motor is still at the Marina and can't figure it out.  The last attempt is to 

replace a capacitor which may be done tomorrow.    Does anyone know of a repair shop that has a 

scan tool?   I contacted Hank at L&M and he can't help on this one.   

Ron Call Fran At Brobiel Marine in Buffalo, NY. They are the area ETEC shop. 1812 Niagara St
Buffalo, NY 14207 (716) 873-1560

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United