Rodent deterrents

Dryer sheets work fine. I spread them throughout the boat covered by canvas. One of the things thata folks don't think about sometimes is that rodents chew electrical wires and I remember one guys boat at a marina over the winter had his transducer wires chewed up by a muskrat.  urine is a component of some plastic s and wire coverings.so maybe that attracts them?

Edited by Sk8man

Dryer sheets did nothing to keep the mice away from our camper last year. Neither did mothballs. This year we are trying some peppermint bags and oil and we'll see if that can keep them away over the winter. Someone told us that was the only thing that worked for them. We will see!

Peppermint oil is good but keep refreshing it about every month. I just heard a new one by using flea and tick collars cut them into pieces and spread them around. Never tried it. I also use the plastic bottle peanut butter mouse trap

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5 hours ago, Hobo said:

Peppermint oil is good but keep refreshing it about every month. I just heard a new one by using flea and tick collars cut them into pieces and spread them around. Never tried it. I also use the plastic bottle peanut butter mouse trap

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks. Funny you should mention the self contained mouse traps. Those little suckers wouldn't go into them. Never caught one at the camp with them although I know they were there by what they left behind. Lol.

Mice respond to peanut butter pretty good but VOLES (which look a lot like them) don't fall for it at all. They do eat shredded tulip or lily bulbs though. They also do a lot more damage than the mice too.

I tried the peppermint oil, the only thing I got where mice with great smelling breath. don't use the small mouse pellet poison any place they will store that stuff every place they can. I put out a bunch of poison blocks out side the barn every week , trying to kill as many as I can.

I should have said bucket mouse trap not plastic bottle mouse trap. Look on U tube caught 15 with it last year. Mix antifreeze with the water that way it doesn't freeze and keep the smell down

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I used the freshcab found at tractor supply and ace hardware. You do need to make sure you add fresh ones in 3-4 months as they don't seem effective after that.

Be careful with the antifreeze if you have pets. For the bucket I use sunflower/birdseed on the top to make it look like a bucket full of seed.

I had a mouse nest made mostly of dryer sheets once. The best I have come to believe is a baited trap. I have seen the electronic boxes that claim to keep mice away but have never used them. Now i have a heated shop and cant keep the mice out, but the good old peanut butter trap gets em the 1st day they get it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

17 hours ago, jimski2 said:

I use the sticky mouse paper. It has some grain sprinkled on it and the mice are dead and dried out in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just hope they don't flip the glue board upside down.....ever try to get them off concrete once stuck? Don't ask....:lol:

The only way to keep mice out of anything is to make it so they can't get in. NOTHING inside a boat or camper will work for any length of time. Tried everything in my camper on the land and they just laughed at me. Found a space around a drain underneath and covered it up. No issue. Then this year due to a fallen tree branch they were able to get in the ceiling, so I fixed that, trapped the pricks and now nothing.

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lunderdog said:

Poison UNDER the boat, near the wheels, and tongue foot. Kill them before they get in. Works for my camper...........

Might be effective but really bad idea. Peoples pets could easily be killed by placement OUTSIDE. It s one thing to place the stuff in a contained controlled area such as a private barn where you have no pets or access by neighbors pets but indiscriminate placement is a very different matter.Not everyone here lives or has property well away from others in isolated areas etc.

Edited by Sk8man