Big ass wasps nest

Bigger than a basketball ball. Anybody ever ****ed with one this big? Plan is blast it from 2 sides tonight, drop the branch tomorrow night with a 3rd can ready. What do you think? Any better ideas? Thanks.

20231012_164532.thumb.jpg.9204e1375bfbcc9b9318e80db4d3a802.jpg

Edited by spoonfed-1

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

Wait until colder weather. First freeze you can climb up there and take down the hornets nest. They get real lethargic in cold weather 

Cant wait.

36 minutes ago, Frogger said:

1 hour ago, lost a lure said:

Just leave it

Cant leave it. A friend of mine is selling the house and he's not in the area so Im helping him out. Guy came to look at it today and got stung on his bald head. He said it drew blood. LOL

37 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Take a video when you do…. you might be famous on Americas Funniest Home videos…….

Thanks for the intelligent response.:rofl:

My brother gets them that big.  He just waits until they are calm and sprays some wasp killer in the hole.  Leaves it all intact.  Creeps me out because I keep waiting for the bald face b a s a r t d s to come after me.

Hornet King (YouTube) uses a bee suit and a shop vac.  Fire scatters them.  When I use non poisonous means, I just use free and clear detergent and water in a sprayer.  I prefer to just go after them with copious amounts of wasp killer.  This is the time of year that the new kings and queens will be leaving the nest so it is a good time to get after them.

I do like the idea of filming it whatever you decide.

No experience with hornets but with bees I trow some seven powder at the opening at night when there calm blast it and run two days later nest is usually dead they track the powder in and all over and a takes a day or two to kill them but like I said never tried on hornets 

Bald faced wasp nest!! Watch your a*^#**

not kidding, they post centurions as lookouts! They will keep attacking even after you have run over 100'! 

Edited by steelydan

Just leave it to till winter. They’ll abandon the nest. That’s a bald face hornets nest and they will f your day up if you mess with them. They swarm attack when provoked. I currently have one myself in my back yard in an aluminum tri arch ladder. They can keep it till winter. 

I sent my drone to attack a nest like that last year.  It wasnt as amusing as I thought it would be and made a mess out of the machine with hornet guts all over it.  They did not sent the whole army after it, rather a few at a time which I was very surprised.

Couple of years ago i had a large yellow jackets nest in an old garbage can.  I threw a 120v bug zapper in there and giggled for a half hour.  That was much more amusing then cleaning bug guts off my drone for an hour.....

We had one that size in our raspberry patch this summer.  Thankfully it was just off the ground.  One night I got in there with some foam spray and took it out.  Easy, peasy.

They never stung me or the kids...just the wife, repeatedly.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

Bigger than a basketball ball. Anybody ever ****ed with one this big? Plan is blast it from 2 sides tonight, drop the branch tomorrow night with a 3rd can ready. What do you think? Any better ideas? Thanks.

20231012_164532.thumb.jpg.9204e1375bfbcc9b9318e80db4d3a802.jpg

Not sure why it’s necessary to kill/destroy the hornets and their nest before they migrate just before winter unless the pose a direct threat to humans or pets.  They do perform a necessary function in nature as pollinators not to mention the are veracious insect killers.  As mentioned numerous times on this thread they extremely aggressive and dangerous when their nest and surrounding area are threatened.

There is one near one of our stands and my body doesn’t react well to being stung. It’s probably ten yards in front of it. I watched it for a few hours while on stand a few days ago and never saw one. Thinking they already left. 

2 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

There is one near one of our stands and my body doesn’t react well to being stung. It’s probably ten yards in front of it. I watched it for a few hours while on stand a few days ago and never saw one. Thinking they already left. 

yep

1 hour ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Not sure why it’s necessary to kill/destroy the hornets and their nest before they migrate just before winter unless the pose a direct threat to humans or pets.  They do perform a necessary function in nature as pollinators not to mention the are veracious insect killers.  As mentioned numerous times on this thread they extremely aggressive and dangerous when their nest and surrounding area are threatened.

If you read my posts you would know why. And no they don't pollinate anything. Technically they are wasps and not hornets. But thanks

59 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

56 minutes ago, lost a lure said:

yep

No they are still in the nest and active here. Not as cold here as in upstate.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. I need these gone in the next couple days and thank to those that posted. I been trying to find a bee suite to borrow but so far no luck. If I cant find one and go for it I'll be sure to have somebody video it .:hi:

Edited by spoonfed-1

On 10/13/2023 at 4:17 PM, lachsforelle said:

We had one that size in our raspberry patch this summer.  Thankfully it was just off the ground.  One night I got in there with some foam spray and took it out.  Easy, peasy.

They never stung me or the kids...just the wife, repeatedly.

Sounds about what I was thinking. Thing that has me concerned is this is a big ass nest. From what I've read there could be a couple thousand of those suckers in there. How far away for the entrance/exit hole were you when you blasted them and did you have a bee suite on?

There is an insecticide powder that the commercial pest control guys use. Not sure of the name of it. Had to hire an outfit a couple of years ago for a nest that was going up behind the siding. Once he puffed it in it took 2 days and the nest was toast. Apparently they track the powder in the colony and kills them. Someone on here might know the name of it.