Rods per person on the boat?

My son had a lesson about having a gaff handy awhile back fishing on Keuka for perch. He caught a 42 inch northern on his 4 lb test jigging rod. I was beyond hearing range from him in the wind when he struggled to land a huge pike without a gaff. He paid for it too. Got all cut up on his hands and then got infected requiring antibiotics. He released the fish (which was probably thinking he got the best of the situation):lol:

markpike42in.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/19/2024 at 5:49 PM, billbobthorpe said:

Was at the Niagra Fishing Show this weekend and someone inferred the number of rods per person on the boat was changed from 3 to 4. Anyone hear anything of this? Always thought it was 3 rods per person on a boat.

yes 3

Most ice fishermen on the St Lawrence carry a gaff while ice fishing. They are very usefully in landing large pike or walleyes but obviously must be used carefully if the fish is going to be released. It can be tough to lead a big fish through an 8” hole!

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent as far as the gaff use but I figured while we were on the topic of the requirements I'd underscore that they can be very important; especially with unexpected toothy critters. I have had folks ask why they are used on ice and not allowed in boats so I thought seeing a firsthand example would illustrate why they are needed rather than retrieving them with hands etc..

I made a gaff for ice fishing a long time ago 

I cut the head off a steel shaft golf club to about 3 ft . Then I took a 6/0 treble and pushedit up the shaft. Carefully drilled a hole thru the shaft and eye. Put a small screw and nut to secure. 

Reach down and hook him just under the bone in his jaw . No harm to the fish . 

Saw a u tube video of a tourney bass guy with live scope . Basically playing a video game . Pretty sad . 

The only comment that I heard at Niagara Show regarding 4 rods was in Walleye Class in regards to a NWT tournament rule of 4 rods per boat ( 2 anglers 2 rods = 4 total).  I’ve not seen or heard anything about changing current NY Regulations from 3 rods per person.  Perhaps some confusion between a per person rule vs a boat total rule?

17 hours ago, Sk8man said:

My son had a lesson about having a gaff handy awhile back fishing on Keuka for perch. He caught a 42 inch northern on his 4 lb test jigging rod. I was beyond hearing range from him in the wind when he struggled to land a huge pike without a gaff. He paid for it too. Got all cut up on his hands and then got infected requiring antibiotics. He released the fish (which was probably thinking he got the best of the situation):lol:

markpike42in.jpg

Well atleast he caught the fish!! Thats a beauty.

14 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent as far as the gaff use but I figured while we were on the topic of the requirements I'd underscore that they can be very important; especially with unexpected toothy critters. I have had folks ask why they are used on ice and not allowed in boats so I thought seeing a firsthand example would illustrate why they are needed rather than retrieving them with hands etc..

On ice, you can't use that net that some people think is required unless you drill a 30" hole, hence the gaff!  

I  prayed for the ability to use more than two rods on a boat for a long time when I used to troll for rainbows, landlocks and lakers on Fourth Lake in the Adirondaks.  When the regulation changed, I got the extra rod holders, and started playing with it.  I found it to be impossible to run three per person with more than one person in the 14 foot Herter with a 10 horse.  Alone, I'll run three but it is a short deep, long deep, and a surface rig, or I spend half my time untangling.  Or, with the motor, I could use s surface rod (Lake Clear with a minnow is popular up there for LLS chasing baby perch in the sunrise)  one lead core, and the downrigger.  But I have lost fish to tangles even with all the separation I could plan.  Shore fishing in ponds, occasionally you'll find a spot where you can use three, but mainly the vegetation around you and the logs in the water make even two rods a dicey proposition. 

Discussion was about ANGLING as OP said "on the boat".  I suppose some might use a boat while ice fishing, but I don't know any. (hopefully.) I've seen cars, trucks, snowmobiles on the ice but never a boat. A guy once claimed he trolled on the ice and caught 200 Lbs of ice, but I never believed him.  DEC explicitly states ice fishing is not ANGLING.  (my caps)  

I troll 3 rods all the time from my boat. (In the open water, never on ice) Very easy to do without tangles, if you know how.  I had a triple once, off two riggers (a major, a teenager and a bow) and nothing tangled plus all successfully released, while solo.   I've had numerous doubles out there solo, also with no tangles.  (hopefully, I'm not jinxing myself) With 2 on the boat, we only run 5, with 3 in same configuration as solo.  

14 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I run three Seth Greens with 5 leaders each all the time solo no problem.

Yup, and I run 12 rods, sometimes a few rods with cheaters, by myself when I'm running charters. Just another example of big brother controlling you.

So I see a u tube video of a  bass guy with forward Facing Sonar and live scope . He has a pair of glasses that the screen of his live scope is projected on his glasses so he doesn't have to even look at his screen . 

Is this the future of  fishing ? And if it is , what's up with that ? Is there any sport to that ? Where is the the fair chase? The problem as I see it are there are going to be some that are good with it and others that want to keep up that will accept it . 

And please don't give me the horse and buggy crap . 

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

So I see a u tube video of a  bass guy with forward Facing Sonar and live scope . He has a pair of glasses that the screen of his live scope is projected on his glasses so he doesn't have to even look at his screen . 

Is this the future of  fishing ? And if it is , what's up with that ? Is there any sport to that ? Where is the the fair chase? The problem as I see it are there are going to be some that are good with it and others that want to keep up that will accept it . 

Everybodys opinion of fair chase is different, I fished for 35 yrs without riggers or electronics. Just a couple 10 color lead core rods and flat lines. When I found the fish (and I usually did) I stayed on them and kicked the **** out them. Electronics are just a tool to find them faster and get the job done quicker.

Edited by spoonfed-1

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

I heard of this coming. The reason behind this method is to help with neck fatigue looking down at a screen.

Everyone's definition of sport is different and probably has a lot to do with what you had growing up. This new generation of fisherman grew up in the video game world. These electronics make you more efficient on the water. Time is a valuable thing these days. On the other hand learning these new electronics is way more time consuming than using traditional sonar.

None of it makes sense to me either.  How about the 40 acre shoal on the St. Lawrence.  There are three sets of regulations to follow there; it’s all the same water!!

Boy oh boy do I feel a little foolish fishing Muskies up there pulling one bait.

A whole website could be devoted to this discussion of electronics. Much of it boils down to personal preferences as does much of fishing itself or many like sports. My hunch is that like the video games as things develop further some of the allure will wear off for those not as addicted to it as the current phone stuff has become.

As Rick mentioned there is a real difference in the time consumed in learning curve and the time spent riveted to the screen can also relate to missed opportunities in learning fishing basics as well as nuances important to success, as video screens don't actually catch the fish. I remember an instance in 1979 when I first started using my new Heath Kit paper graph recorder I pulled up to the dock after fishing and a lady was standing there and she wondered what the "tv" screen was on my boat and I told it was a "fish finder" and she immediately became incensed and said "that is so unfair to the fish" and you must not be much of a fisherman to need that.:lol: I responded "Lady this thing is no guarantee... believe me". I was kinda glad she didn't ask me about my 2 manual Riviera downriggers:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Sorry guys , it's BS 

You can justify it in your mind any way you want . It just ain't right . 

Sorry if your  neck gets sore staring at a live scope when you can actually in real time place your bait in front of the fish  and watch them hit it . 

A long time ago I asked a question to some out there . 

It was " if they made some sort of electronic device that every time  you were around  a fish  it would automatically hit your lure , would you buy it ? " 

Sadly , there are some that would rush right out and buy it . And we would be in Hell. 

And then  post pics on here and be proud of themselves . 

Where will this end , probably not in a good place.  

I'm glad I'm old , I see the thing I love to do more than anything turned into a joke . 

Edited by HB2

"Fishing" can be defined as "the activity of trying to catch fish."  

I don't know anyone who thinks these inventions within the last 70 years make our fishing "unsporting":

Electric downriggers
Ball bearing swivels
Fiberglass/graphite/combo rods
Dipsy Divers
Multiple gain, color screen fish finders with alarms
Electronic temperature probes
Floro & Copoly fishing lines
GPS with waypoint memory
Line counting reels
Lead core/copper lines
Contour following electronics
Internet fishing websites

How many ran right out & bought them?  None of them actually put fish in the boat, however, they were pretty progressive for their times, and most are commonplace today.  IMO, anyone against trying to make progress is stuck in their "horse & buggy" days. Doesn't matter to me how you fish (as long as it's legal), so enjoy it while you can. 

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

Sorry guys , it's BS 

You can justify it in your mind any way you want . It just ain't right . 

Sorry if your  neck gets sore staring at a live scope when you can actually in real time place your bait in front of the fish  and watch them hit it . 

A long time ago I asked a question to some out there . 

It was " if they made some sort of electronic device that every time  you were around  a fish  it would automatically hit your lure , would you buy it ? " 

Sadly , there are some that would rush right out and buy it . And we would be in Hell. 

And then  post pics on here and be proud of themselves . 

Where will this end , probably not in a good place.  

I'm glad I'm old , I see the thing I love to do more than anything turned into a joke . 

You aren’t wrong for having an opinion, others aren’t wrong for having their own personal choices. Your boat, your choice. I’m a minimalist when it comes to Lake O. I will say when I fish with others here, on their boats, I enjoy watching what they do. 

• Like 2