How do u pick who reels 1st fish?

When we have new guys on board we always let them go first, then I'll usually be the last one.

But what if your solo?............that's when I get confused as to who goes first..........

I normally grab the rod make sure it's a good hook set and the drag is adjusted properly and hand it off. Whenever I have someone else on board I never reel in a fish unless we are on a double. To me I did my job setting the rods, depths, locations, speed etc. and when we hook up I consider it credit for me :)

'Bout Time

Mike

This normally unless everyone is sleeping then I just mosie over to the rod then reel like a SOB until there is tension. Once it screams off a lot of drag then I hand it to someone for the grueling task of reeling the 500'+ of line out. haha

As captain of my own boat I feel that all the fish are mine I put them On fish and got themt Hooked up I did the hard part. That's good enough for me. I'll reel once in a while But I'm

Happy enough to hand off to people let them fight them and take them home.

Lets hope that the  fishing  is good enough  for all   to have several  turns  at it  per day, as I see things shaping up   for  that kind of a year   at least   my spring was that way  by mid day  I couldn't hand a rod off to anybody in the boat

We take turns as mentioned above.  But what is more fun is to yell fish on and have the guy not be able to figure out which one it is. :rofl: :rofl:   In the Seneca Derby this year I we were fishing in Forester Dave's boat.  He was driving when a fish hit the dipsy, I picked it up, started to reel and hollered to him "Fish On the Dipsy"  I swear to god he turned around all panicked and said "Which one, which one, which one???"  I was in the middle of the boat with the rod in my hand! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I consider anybody aboard my boat a guest and let them reel in all the fish. It is my pleasure to see the smile on their face when they boat the biggest fresh water fish of their life. Also allows me to make adjustments to my trolling spread to prevent tangles with easy access for netting. I insist on netting the fish, it is an art. :)

I normally grab the rod make sure it's a good hook set and the drag is adjusted properly and hand it off. Whenever I have someone else on board I never reel in a fish unless we are on a double. To me I did my job setting the rods, depths, locations, speed etc. and when we hook up I consider it credit for me :)

'Bout Time

Mike

I feel the same way :yes:

small boat we have to have an order or we'll knock each other over the side.  we pick rods like a draft and whosever rod goes first gets first fish all turns after that.  my favorite is on the way home in the car to suddenly yell out dipsy dipsy dipsy and watch em try to jump up with a seat belt on

• 1 month later...

I usually only fish three people. The person who has caught the least gets first fish. I may grab the rod and make sure it is hooked up but always hand the rod over to someone else. With my Lund it's always a team effort with a driver, a neter and the third person handling the rod. Although there is skill in handling the rod the real skill is in setting rods and speed etc. to trigger the bites. I love seeing rookies holding a screaming rod!

Spot on Kevin....trolling is a team effort and we also pass the rod to the least experienced angler. Do we drop the occaisional fish handing off to young kids...of course...but thats not a problem for me. Last year the only eye well over 10 got dropped seconds from the net...if i dropped it woulda been an ISSUE, but it was a 12 year old and i was thrilled he loved the fight and I bet when he comes next weekend i wont have to tell him to keep his rod tip up! I catch my fair share solo....

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't get me wrong I love to reel in fish but I get a kick outta putting people on fish and letting them reel it in.  There faces are priceless and most of the time its there biggest fish ever.

on my boat normally guests go first but 1st trip on Ontario with it one guest handed me the rod on the 1st fish and let me get it in since it was the 1st fish on my boat on Ontario. then he went next 1st 2 both steelies. the 3rd guy got the only king of the day LOL.  loved watching his face as that king was screaming line off.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems as though most of the dudes I fish with grab the rod as soon as they see it go - especially ifI turn my head forward for a second or when they keep yelling "there's one" with nothing there and then I fail to respond when there really is :lol: