16 ft angler enough for big O

Guys I spent last year getting my boat all setup for fishing. I have finally got it close to what I want. I was wondering if you guys think it would be able to handle Ontario for spring browns. It is a smokercraft angler 16ft. I had it on some rough water last year and it seemed to handle it ok, but I have been out on Ontario many of days and know the gig!!!

As mentioned above just pick your days. Pay close attention to the wind direction and wind forecast. If your fishing the south shore from like fair haven to the oak a small South wind will be best and the lake will be near flat. If it's out of the north / northwest then the waves and chop will be higher.

watch the wind closely and make sure you can run to harbor in a reasonable time.  I fished out of a 14ft starcraft for years and did lake o in the spring.  just always had a constant eye on the weather and weather channel

Many a day I sat in the trailer for days waiting for the wind to die down, I had a 18ft Troller center console, open bow. I usually fished the river (Black) but you can only troll so many hrs up and down before you get nuts. Many of my 5 days of vacation were a bust. The guys that live near by it's not bad but being 250 miles away makes it tough. I now own a 22ft Cuddy, it still not a ship but at least I can go when I couldn't before.

Yeah, don't get tempted to go out when it's even remotely risky.

As others have indicated, pick your days.

Thing is I've seen it turn quick in Lake O, from flat mirror to 3 to 4 footers in about 45 minutes.  So you want to be able to get into shore ASAP when that happens. Probably means you shouldn't go out to the blue zone. Once the waves start developing it will slow you down big time. A lot of people think, it'll take me 30 minutes to get back to shore if I motor it, but by the time you decide to leave, you're already dealing with 2 footers and that cuts your speed in half, if not less.  Storm will catch up to you.  Just stay close to shore, no more than a few miles out.

Very good advice TyeeTanic, pushing your luck for a fish isn't worth your life, or pushing your boat beyond it's potential will bite you in arsh not the first time but sooner or later it will catch up with you.

There are days where no boat is safe on the lake. Like everyone said pick your days, watch the weather and as I've said before if the Coast Guard or a charter captain running radar says there's a storm coming, get off.

Edited by Firechief48

Yow will be fine. This is my 20th year on Ontario with my Starcraft... 16' 8"  deep vee

post-139500-0-88022100-1454338767_thumb.jpgpost-139500-0-87479000-1454338777_thumb.jpg

You may want to think about launching in a protected area... Sodus Bay, Fairhaven, Irondequoit bay.... if the lake is too rough, you  can fish bass, pike, etc. in the calm water.

Edited by J.D.

One thing the weatherman gets right 90% of the time is the isobars watch for when they are far apart with several days till they tighten up if it's 3-4 days I hit the road for north, this theory has worked rather well. So basically you want a high pressure system set up over the north east, but watch that the bars are over the lake also. I have seen where it looks good but the bars are tight over western part of the lake to Lake Erie that's no good either. Try it, it might surprise you.

• 3 weeks later...

Great boat, I have a 19' roughneck Lowe and love it. Your going to enjoy it, like said for every boater, pay attention the the weather. I push mine around with a 6hp just fine.

Scott