Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Legacy

ISO new deer hunting firearms

Recommended Posts

I'm in the market for a couple of new guns for deer hunting. I am looking for a new muzzleloader and a new shotgun along with new scopes for both. I would like some input from you guys on...

Shotgun?
Shotgun scope?
Ammo?
Muzzleloader?
Scope?
Ammo?

Lets hear it!!!
 
Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any experience with Vortex scopes? I went to the Firing Pin gun shop and Runnings today, and both places spoke very highly of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Browning A-5 with a 2.5X Bushnell scope. I bought the gun the day after I turned 18, way back when all you had to do is walk in a gun shop and fill out a form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAVAGE 220 20 GAGE BOLT ACTION. Most accurate gun on the market for shot gun. Fast and flat shooting , tac driver. Scope ..u know spend the $$$
Remington copper solids



Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll vote.  I have a Savage 220 with a Leupold Vari X 2 that is a pretty good shooter.  Consistent 2" groups at 100 yards.  Hornady Perfomance 2 3/4" slugs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 years ago (ish) i bought a Mossberg combo 12 guage with a junk bushnell scope.  Cheap black synthetic stock with a case.  If memory serves me right it cost about $280.  It is a complete tackdriver.   I have never cleaned it, I have never adjusted the scope and its dead nuts.  For $2500 I might just let it go.  (this price is solely for Rob, sorry Scott, I want it to go to a good home)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CVA Accura V2 50 cal with the Nitride finish.  Cant go wrong Rob. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cva Accura v2. Hornady 50cal 250gr bullet. Blackhorn powder 100 grains loose with special breach plug made for that powder. 1" groups at 100yrds. 2" at 200. Very very accurate. But nothing is good if you dont practice.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, longspurs said:

SAVAGE 220 20 GAGE BOLT ACTION. Most accurate gun on the market for shot gun. Fast and flat shooting , tac driver. Scope ..u know spend the $$$
Remington copper solids



Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

What he said.  I doubt you will find a more accurate slug gun once u find out what slugs it likes.  Accu tips are another good option for slugs with this gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I use a Browning A-5 with a 2.5X Bushnell scope. I bought the gun the day after I turned 18, way back when all you had to do is walk in a gun shop and fill out a form.
Belgium Browning light 12, topped with a Leopold 2 x 7 Buck barrel 2 and 3/4 Winchester preemption gold is my preference on ammo. The original gun was given to me by my grandfather. I kind of retarded the gun. I went with a Benelli super Black eagle same scope 2 x 7 Leopold . I use the same ammo but the guns also is chamber 3 inch . Then County when rifle. Muzzleloader I like the TC Omega have and it also has a 2 by 7 Leupold scope on it

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77e349c5b89b7f7fbb033714f4c01358.jpgH&R Ultra Slug Hunter. 20Ga. With a Leupold VX II 2-7. 2 3/4” Winchester Partition Gold slugs. I’ve been hunting with this shotgun for for over 15 years and it’s been Deadly. I would also recommend the bolt actions.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't hunted in years but my 12 guage Ithaca Model 37 with Deerslayer 20 inch barrel was accurate as heck with nearly any slug fired from it even when I converted it to a pistol grip for different use:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a twelve ga Ultra Slug gun and it is a tack driver but a pain to lug around due to weight. It is a tree stand gun. Most of my family and friends I hunt with have the Savage Bolt in 20 Ga. if I had to do it again, I would buy the Savage. The two stage accutrigger helps your shooting as you will know exactly when the gun will go off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Legacy said:

Anyone have any experience with Vortex scopes? I went to the Firing Pin gun shop and Runnings today, and both places spoke very highly of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

 

I have a vortex spotting scope .... absolutely no complaints. At the Harrisburg show last year I looked at a fairly new brand called Tract. They had some really good stuff at the show. I bought a pair of their Binoculars (8x42) and have been very, very pleased. The brand is definitely worth a look.They are direct to consumer so their pricing is quite competitive.  

https://www.tractoptics.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

I own a twelve ga Ultra Slug gun and it is a tack driver but a pain to lug around due to weight. It is a tree stand gun. Most of my family and friends I hunt with have the Savage Bolt in 20 Ga. if I had to do it again, I would buy the Savage. The two stage accutrigger helps your shooting as you will know exactly when the gun will go off. 

 

Just make sure you remember it's a two stage trigger! I have a buddy who couldn't figure out why his gun wouldn't fire this year while a buck stood right in front of him lol. I think he needs to shoot more...but the gun is a keeper. I'm with Billy in using a plain Jane Winchester Model 12 that's almost as old as I am. It's on it's third Bushnell Banner scope...cheap crap, yes, but it's a shotgun not a rifle and I could hit deer with open sights at 50 yards where most of my shots are...and I've shot more deer than I can count with it. I made the mistake of cleaning it this year, though. I'll probably never hit another deer with it.

 

I'm with Brian on the Accura V2, and I'm partial to Leupold scopes. Here's the best deal I found: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-accura-v2-leupold-combo-pr3125snlc.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gator said:

 

 

I'm with Brian on the Accura V2, and I'm partial to Leupold scopes. Here's the best deal I found: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-accura-v2-leupold-combo-pr3125snlc.html

 

Thank you. That website is amazing. I really like this setup. When i buy it will probably come from this website.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would highly suggest looking into smokeless muzzleloaders.. you can buy a cva scout converted to a smokeless for less than $800.. its a 350yd gun if you do your part.. Hankins Custom Rifles usually has them in stock.. there is alil more to shooting a smokeless rig but the pros outweigh the cons

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

I would highly suggest looking into smokeless muzzleloaders.. you can buy a cva scout converted to a smokeless for less than $800.. its a 350yd gun if you do your part.. Hankins Custom Rifles usually has them in stock.. there is alil more to shooting a smokeless rig but the pros outweigh the cons

 

Is that bad a** gun of yours smokeless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Duckman1 said:

Cva Accura v2. Hornady 50cal 250gr bullet. Blackhorn powder 100 grains loose with special breach plug made for that powder. 1" groups at 100yrds. 2" at 200. Very very accurate. But nothing is good if you dont practice.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

 

This really seems to be a popular setup. Certainly one that i am considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savage 220. With Nikon slughunter have killed deer at 180 and have shot pumpkins out to 225 Remington accu tips and federal trophy copper Shoot great same hole at 100 I’m converting Remington 700 muzzleloader into a smokeless. Muzzleloader. New barrel breach plug. Clean. Don’t have to clean after every shot. It’s the way to go!!


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard a buddy of mine talk about his smokeless MZ that doesn't need to be cleaned as regularly. Tell us more please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safe to assume that most of you shooters are on the 20 gauge fan club? I have shot 12 gauge my whole life but...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will agree with the savage bolt action 220 but I prefer the 212, have had it for around 18 years. Fantastic shooting slug gun.. but, I was able to find a bolt gun that's a bit nicer. 3 years ago I bought the browning a-bolt slug gun. It shoots as good, if not a bit better out to 175 yards, feels much better with swelled palm grip and soft rubber texture that doesnt slip. It's just an all around beautiful gun that drives tacks.. and it's a 12.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×