Escape Sandy Creek Shootout report (and Prefishing)

Started the morning on Friday with huge waves from the NE. Left port and slowly made our way to 100’ and started there. Trolled into the waves to the NE out to 300’. We worked in and out all day and had a decent bite until it slowed at 9am. At 12:30, in 120, we boated a 22.46 king that put us in 6th place for Big Fish Friday.

Saturday morning we were greeted with a clam lake. With the way conditions were changing on Friday, I was afraid the water we found holding fish was going to be gone. We set the boat down in front of the creek in 120’ and was pleasantly surprised to see nothing had changed over night. We worked 105-125’ all day and had an insane king bite. We ran 6 meat rigs and two spoons. At 7:30, the wire takes off and runs off 520’ on the first run. After a long battle with many runs, we boated a 28.7lb king. At this point in the day, we had the 28.7, a 20.6, a 20.1 and a 18.4 in the box. We continued to grind the same waters as the other boats in the area decided to head offshore. At 11:15, the 200’copper pulling an Atommik meat rig takes off. After a short battle, we made a 3 lb upgrade. At weigh in, we ended up taking first place, first place in the Calcutta, biggest king and biggest king for the Calcutta. Here what we took fish on over the two days of fishing.

Atommik Shenster meat rig

Atommik Double Crushed glow meat rig

Atommik UV Grinch Meat Rig

Minion Key lime meat rig

Minion Carbon 14 meat rig

Moonshine Carbon 14 mag

Moonshine Geezer mag

Dream Weaver Uv Two Face Regular.

Atommik Stud Fly behind a Hammer Time Flasher. A huge thank you to my crew! You guys are awesome and make our team run like a well oiled machine! I would also like to thank Rob and Tim for their hard work getting this tournament together! Congrats to all the other teams that placed and won prizes.

IMG_8375.JPGIMG_8370.JPGIMG_8371.JPGIMG_8366.JPGIMG_8372.JPGIMG_8373.JPGIMG_8368.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 14

I thought we put together a pretty good day off the bar yesterday, but I believe you won best on lake award for your efforts. Great job Brian and team!

• Like 1

Great job! Just curious, I picked up a Starcraft offshore to restore. I looks like your boat is the same, just curious what you think of it and would you make any recommendations on rigging, etc.

Mine is a Starcraft Blue water. Great boat! Mine needed stringers and a transom and got that done in 2009. I will take some pics this week when I’m down at the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, Picker Pines said:

Way to go Team Escape....Proud to say I knows ya'

I won't go that far, but I will admit to knowing him now that he's won two out of the last three years lol.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 8:45 AM, FISHIN AGAIN? said:

Nice work Brian. Great Job. Its hard to be patient when the inside bite slows down but the fish are there.

We knew from Friday that the late morning bite was still there.  Once the boats clear the inside waters, the fish turned on again.  We had the mindset to stay and grind the fish.  They didn't leave so we had to wait them out!  

19 hours ago, danjr said:

Well done Brian you give us smallish boat guys hope. :D  Hell of a box!

The shootout is the perfect tourney for small boat guys.  It has been won 4 times now by guys in smaller boats that are not captains.  I have won it twice, Net Breakers won it a couple years ago, and Jakey Baby won it a couple years ago also.  

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The shootout is the perfect tourney for small boat guys.  It has been won 4 times now by guys in smaller boats that are not captains.  I have won it twice, Net Breakers won it a couple years ago, and Jakey Baby won it a couple years ago also.  

Thats why we love it Bud! We look forward to next year!  Again well done, you are a hell of a fisherman!