Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

8G was a comparative ghost town yesterday. Very very few close shots around brockport. By the end of the day the deer were comfortable enough to be feeding on my property and acting not very spooked at all. I’m not complaining about it!

I took a doe out from 170 with my CVA paramount crosshairs right on her shoulder and bang flop. So amazing to shoot a muzzy that’s just point and shoot out to 200.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Frogger said:

Wow what a monster, Ohio buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were hunting with Southern Ohio Outfitters in Jackson, Ohio.  We sat all day - passed up a nice 8pt at 11am.  Didnt see another deer until about 330 when a spike popped up in front of us.  I had Gabby practice aiming at him when she caught movement way off in the distance in the field.  This guy was out there over 300 yards tending a doe.  At 4 he chased off a 120 inch 8 the back to the doe.  At this point he was 275 yards and not leaving that doe.  A monster 8pt shows up above him.  The big buck started pushing the doe down the hill and getting closer.  He finally got within 250 yards and she was ready for the shot and it was 4:58.  Gabby practices a lot with me out to 200 yards so this was a little stretch but she had calmed down after watching him for an hour and a half.  We also use a lead sled shooting chair which is great for kids.  She's shooting an AR chambered in 350 legend 150 grain winchester loads.  First shot she hit him and he jump down towards the doe.  He was standing but kept putting his head down but was facing us looking around.  He turned broadside again and she fired and dropped him.  He kicked a couple times and I had her shoot again.  I still can't believe it all came together.  An awesome experience!

FB_IMG_1606016367022.jpg

55463.jpeg

• Like 16

Well, ventured to state land yesterday morning with my brother for opening day. We were unsure how the day would unfold, as you hear many horror stories of state land hunting on opening day of gun with bullets flying by and guys being everywhere. My brother and I hunted different locations within 5 miles of each other. We figured divide and conquer. We got in early to try and beat the crowd as we both started our trek in around 4:20AM. The leaves were crunchy, and it took me 40 minutes to get to the area I wanted to hunt. Got settled in and just sat in the pitch black until the sun came up. I never saw any lights coming in where I was hunting, but my brother had seen a couple others. The wind ended up being no good for the spot I was sitting in, as I felt like it was blowing right to where the deer would be coming from. I decided at 7:40 that if I wanted to see deer, I had to move alittle further south to get my wind blowing in a manageable direction. While it sucked to have to move so early, I made the move very slow scratching the ground with my feet letting out turkey yelps and clucks. I made it about 60 yards south, and felt like that would be better than where I was at. Well, about 30 minutes later I see a good sized deer running through the woods. It ran directly to the tree I had originally set up at, and I could tell it was just a small buck. When it hit that tree, it must have caught my scent, turned to the south and ran right at me. It stopped broadside at 16 yards. At this moment, so many thoughts were running through my mind (your target buck back home 140” to 150” buck got hit last week by a car, you just hiked up a mountain, it’s state land). I’m not going to get into my season prior to this, but it’s been a disaster. All that added up in the quick decision to settle on the deer and pull the trigger. It was no where near some of the bucks I have on camera this season In fact this buck probably scores 13” [emoji23]. But to tell you guys the truth, I couldn’t be happier with this little buck, and it really is just a great representation of my 2020 season lol. I later got a call from my brother saying that he shot one. Long story short he ended up not being able to find it, which was a real bummer as it would have been a first deer. We were hunting the whole day, so I told him to just sit right as he could have another chance. Another chance did not come for him, but he had a great experience and took some knowledge away to learn from. At about noon, I decided to move again further south and found a nice funnel along a thick transition. At about 1:30, 8 or 9 doe came in at 30 yards right up the funnel along the transition. I settled on a nice mature doe, and shot. I don’t know what happened, but I made a terrible shot that lead to me tracking this deer for 2 hours and ended up having to make a followup shot around 4pm. It was devastating to me that the deer was running around that long injured, bu I was glad it all worked out, and was a pretty cool experience on state land. My brother didn’t end up having anymore luck. It was a heck of a job dragging them both out, and my whole boy is sore today. Those two deer make four in the freezer for me this year, so I will be done for now. I may get out for late season to try for a could of the other good bucks I have on camera back home. Good luck everybody!IMG_6827.JPGIMG_6864.JPG

• Like 11

Well, ventured to state land yesterday morning with my brother for opening day. We were unsure how the day would unfold, as you hear many horror stories of state land hunting on opening day of gun with bullets flying by and guys being everywhere. My brother and I hunted different locations within 5 miles of each other. We figured divide and conquer. We got in early to try and beat the crowd as we both started our trek in around 4:20AM. The leaves were crunchy, and it took me 40 minutes to get to the area I wanted to hunt. Got settled in and just sat in the pitch black until the sun came up. I never saw any lights coming in where I was hunting, but my brother had seen a couple others. The wind ended up being no good for the spot I was sitting in, as I felt like it was blowing right to where the deer would be coming from. I decided at 7:40 that if I wanted to see deer, I had to move alittle further south to get my wind blowing in a manageable direction. While it sucked to have to move so early, I made the move very slow scratching the ground with my feet letting out turkey yelps and clucks. I made it about 60 yards south, and felt like that would be better than where I was at. Well, about 30 minutes later I see a good sized deer running through the woods. It ran directly to the tree I had originally set up at, and I could tell it was just a small buck. When it hit that tree, it must have caught my scent, turned to the south and ran right at me. It stopped broadside at 16 yards. At this moment, so many thoughts were running through my mind (your target buck back home 140” to 150” buck got hit last week by a car, you just hiked up a mountain, it’s state land). I’m not going to get into my season prior to this, but it’s been a disaster. All that added up in the quick decision to settle on the deer and pull the trigger. It was no where near some of the bucks I have on camera this season In fact this buck probably scores 13” [emoji23]. But to tell you guys the truth, I couldn’t be happier with this little buck, and it really is just a great representation of my 2020 season lol. I later got a call from my brother saying that he shot one. Long story short he ended up not being able to find it, which was a real bummer as it would have been a first deer. We were hunting the whole day, so I told him to just sit right as he could have another chance. Another chance did not come for him, but he had a great experience and took some knowledge away to learn from. At about noon, I decided to move again further south and found a nice funnel along a thick transition. At about 1:30, 8 or 9 doe came in at 30 yards right up the funnel along the transition. I settled on a nice mature doe, and shot. I don’t know what happened, but I made a terrible shot that lead to me tracking this deer for 2 hours and ended up having to make a followup shot around 4pm. It was devastating to me that the deer was running around that long injured, bu I was glad it all worked out, and was a pretty cool experience on state land. My brother didn’t end up having anymore luck. It was a heck of a job dragging them both out, and my whole boy is sore today. Those two deer make four in the freezer for me this year, so I will be done for now. I may get out for late season to try for a could of the other good bucks I have on camera back home. Good luck everybody!IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.bfaf93bd3c4041e55e86c97b881998ab.JPGIMG_6864.thumb.JPG.395868a30da93a02040eff4db3ac4f55.JPG

Great stuff Manny!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Well, ventured to state land yesterday morning with my brother for opening day. We were unsure how the day would unfold, as you hear many horror stories of state land hunting on opening day of gun with bullets flying by and guys being everywhere. My brother and I hunted different locations within 5 miles of each other. We figured divide and conquer. We got in early to try and beat the crowd as we both started our trek in around 4:20AM. The leaves were crunchy, and it took me 40 minutes to get to the area I wanted to hunt. Got settled in and just sat in the pitch black until the sun came up. I never saw any lights coming in where I was hunting, but my brother had seen a couple others. The wind ended up being no good for the spot I was sitting in, as I felt like it was blowing right to where the deer would be coming from. I decided at 7:40 that if I wanted to see deer, I had to move alittle further south to get my wind blowing in a manageable direction. While it sucked to have to move so early, I made the move very slow scratching the ground with my feet letting out turkey yelps and clucks. I made it about 60 yards south, and felt like that would be better than where I was at. Well, about 30 minutes later I see a good sized deer running through the woods. It ran directly to the tree I had originally set up at, and I could tell it was just a small buck. When it hit that tree, it must have caught my scent, turned to the south and ran right at me. It stopped broadside at 16 yards. At this moment, so many thoughts were running through my mind (your target buck back home 140” to 150” buck got hit last week by a car, you just hiked up a mountain, it’s state land). I’m not going to get into my season prior to this, but it’s been a disaster. All that added up in the quick decision to settle on the deer and pull the trigger. It was no where near some of the bucks I have on camera this season In fact this buck probably scores 13” [emoji23]. But to tell you guys the truth, I couldn’t be happier with this little buck, and it really is just a great representation of my 2020 season lol. I later got a call from my brother saying that he shot one. Long story short he ended up not being able to find it, which was a real bummer as it would have been a first deer. We were hunting the whole day, so I told him to just sit right as he could have another chance. Another chance did not come for him, but he had a great experience and took some knowledge away to learn from. At about noon, I decided to move again further south and found a nice funnel along a thick transition. At about 1:30, 8 or 9 doe came in at 30 yards right up the funnel along the transition. I settled on a nice mature doe, and shot. I don’t know what happened, but I made a terrible shot that lead to me tracking this deer for 2 hours and ended up having to make a followup shot around 4pm. It was devastating to me that the deer was running around that long injured, bu I was glad it all worked out, and was a pretty cool experience on state land. My brother didn’t end up having anymore luck. It was a heck of a job dragging them both out, and my whole boy is sore today. Those two deer make four in the freezer for me this year, so I will be done for now. I may get out for late season to try for a could of the other good bucks I have on camera back home. Good luck everybody!IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.bfaf93bd3c4041e55e86c97b881998ab.JPGIMG_6864.thumb.JPG.395868a30da93a02040eff4db3ac4f55.JPG

Good deal. Figuring it out on vast state land is what it is all about.

November 22 am
38 degrees
Cloudy
SE wind 5-10 mph
Snow/rain starting at 10am

Hunted a fresh set today that my kid and I hung a couple weeks ago. Saw a bunch of does and a small buck. Not a lot of shots heard this morning. Certainly not a lot considering it's day two of the gun season.

IMG_20201122_085249866_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well my kid got it done this afternoon.
Long story, short he wasn't even planning on hunting this afternoon. Around 130 he was inquiring about hunting. I told him he had two stands he could hunt with this east wind. He ask me which stand would I hunt. I told him I would hunt the set I hunted this morning. The other stand choice you may see more deer but the other one your bound to see the right deer. And boy did he see the right deer. Just as he was approaching the stand he saw a doe pop up. He dropped to one knee and then he noticed there were five bucks all around her. He picked out the biggest and let it fly.
Proud dad moment for sure. His biggest to date.

IMG_20201122_160127705.jpegIMG_20201122_155943050.jpegIMG_20201122_152238475_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpegIMG_20201122_162117125_HDR.jpegIMG_20201122_162051829.jpegIMG_20201122_161950067.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 22