Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

8 hours ago, BrookTrout said:

So I have been lurking on this thread all season and felt I should contribute after a successful day yesterday.  

I bought a 27 acre parcel behind my house in 7S that I have hunted for 4 seasons.  Its all timber with a thick understory of honey suckle and autumn olive.  There is an old orchard that has been choked off for yrs that I have been trying to open up but no apples this year so had a slow bow season with no good opportunities.  Had numerous bucks on cam and saw a couple during bow so went into the weekend optimistic.  

Out early Saturday, heard about 70+ shots (about 20 before sunrise).   Saw 2 does and several fawns early and late (took midday break) but that was all.  

That night I rethought my strategy of hunting in the am then taking a midday break and back out pm.  Cant quite make the all day sits but my hats off to those that do.   I tended to see does/fawns moving during these times but none of the bigger bucks I had on cam.  I had also noticed that several bucks had been moving around midday on cam.  So I slept in Sunday (that part was easy) and headed out at 10am.  Snow was crunchy so made my slowly to my best stand at northern edge of property which sits at the intersection of my main woods road and 2 smaller trails that I had cut over the past couple years. Wind was good.  Felt optimistic.  Sure enough about noon saw movement to my left through some timber and brush.  Made out horns and my heart started pumping as it was a nice 8.  He was angling off a ridge behind me but headed down and away.  Had similar scenario week before but he was tailing a doe and I couldn't turn him with the grunt call.  Today he was alone but I could barely see him anymore and had the grunt tube ready but he made a turn back towards me (later found he had crossed a doe trail).   He got onto the smaller trail that goes out of sight behind thick brush then pops out right in front of the stand so now my heart really starts thumping....  However he crossed trail and worked perpendicular to my stand in deep brush about 75 yards downhill, not presenting a good shot.  He finally came out on main woods road where he made the wrong choice and turned right, headed towards a big 30 yd opening that would bring him broadside at 40 yds.  I tried to slow my breathing and prepared for the shot.  Sure enough he walked right out into the opening and I gave him a quick "meh " which stopped him in his tracks and I put a 30-30 win right behind his right shoulder.  He jumped and kicked hard, made a desperate 100 yd dash and crashed off the woods road into the brush.  Got him through both lungs.   

He's not a monster like some I have seen on this site (congrats to all by the way) but one of 2 eight pts I was hoping to get a shot at and only the 5th buck I have ever harvested.    What a great feeling to put in so much time and have it all come together.  I am relatively new to hunting as I didn't grow up in a hunting family but so happy I have found this sport and now have my own property to hunt.  Next up is to get out with the girlfriend and help her her get first deer...  

IMG_0993.jpg

Would this deer have happened to be shot in Windsor near CR weeks elementary

Congrats on all the great bucks!  I booked a hunt for my 10 year old daughter on a 2 day youth hunt in Ohio.  We had the green light to shoot any buck but was hoping to score a good one.  Saturday only saw a small doe in the morning.  Setup up on a field for the evening hunt and had a wacky 7 point come in.  Gabby was ready to lay him out but I made her give him a pass. 

Sunday morning we only see two does - I asked if she wanted to take one with only an afternoon hunt left.  She wanted a buck.  That evening we head back to the same field hoping the buck we passed the night before showed up or one of the other bucks they had on camera showed.  First 3 hours we didnt see anything and I felt terrible not letting her pull the trigger Saturday night.  I scanned the field with my binoculars and see a rack coming up the bottom of the field.  I bought her a leadsled chair with the gun rest.  Worked great for her - I clocked her cva hunter in 44 mag and said get ready.  I got him to stop at about 100 yards and she smoked him.  We were both pumped and couldn't believe what just happened.  Best hunt I've ever been on!  Matt at Sunfish Valley Outfitters does some magic with the pics too!

20181119_062843.jpg

38599.jpeg

• Like 4

Congrats on all the great bucks!  I booked a hunt for my 10 year old daughter on a 2 day youth hunt in Ohio.  We had the green light to shoot any buck but was hoping to score a good one.  Saturday only saw a small doe in the morning.  Setup up on a field for the evening hunt and had a wacky 7 point come in.  Gabby was ready to lay him out but I made her give him a pass. 

Sunday morning we only see two does - I asked if she wanted to take one with only an afternoon hunt left.  She wanted a buck.  That evening we head back to the same field hoping the buck we passed the night before showed up or one of the other bucks they had on camera showed.  First 3 hours we didnt see anything and I felt terrible not letting her pull the trigger Saturday night.  I scanned the field with my binoculars and see a rack coming up the bottom of the field.  I bought her a leadsled chair with the gun rest.  Worked great for her - I clocked her cva hunter in 44 mag and said get ready.  I got him to stop at about 100 yards and she smoked him.  We were both pumped and couldn't believe what just happened.  Best hunt I've ever been on!  Matt at Sunfish Valley Outfitters does some magic with the pics too!

20181119_062843.thumb.jpg.743e79975e30222e1b8573800d164ca0.jpg
38599.thumb.jpeg.163423de2d3ea48781aba426606fba13.jpeg
Awesome!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I keep telling myself all it takes is a hot doe!
What a difference a week makes. A week ago I was covered up in deer and now the true grind of the season starts. The lack of deer along with the weather keeping me from hunting where I'd like is frustrating. I hate to air my negativity but I know we all feel it at some point. Hoping Lady luck friend requests me some time soon!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, MeanMachine said:

20181119_062843.jpg

38599.jpeg

What a great experience for both of you!  Awesome buck!

So thought I share this , my taxidermist called me.  The buck I took  opening day. They think between 8-9 years old.  I would of never guess.  I have not seen the jaw bone yet but he saved them for me. When I get a pic I will share.  That's alot of hunting seasons to make it thru.   

IMG_20181117_110139305_HDR.jpg

Edited by fishon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fishon said:

So thought I share this , my taxidermist called me.  The buck I took  opening day. They think between 8-9 years old.  I would of never guess.  I have not seen the jaw bone yet but he saved them for me. When I get a pic I will share.  That's alot of hunting seasons to make it thru.   

IMG_20181117_110139305_HDR.jpg

Send a tooth in to have it aged. We are finding out deer are living longer than we thought. The Drury boys showed a buck they took on their show that was 14 years old. GREAT DEER!  I love mass. 

November 20 am

32 degrees
NW wind 5 mph
Cloudy
Flurries

I hunted a property that I haven't spent too much time on all season and hunted a new stand that I hung this summer. Unfortunately I bumped a couple deer on the way in and never saw a deer from the stand.

IMG_20181120_072436084.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sat till 11 today and had to leave even though I really didn't want to. Had to kick two deer out to get down. Saw 20 deer total, 9 or 10 mature doe and the rest yearlings. The buck I'm chasing has passed by my stands 3 different times and 3 different stands on camera. He has me chasing him back and forth like crazy. Pulled into my kids school to pick him up at 3 o'clock and there was a 3 year old 9 point tending a doe right next to the road with no cares in the world.
20181120_145909.jpeg