From an RN

Up until now, I have been extremely silent on my personal feelings on how the COVID-19 pandemic is being handled by the public. But I feel like after the things I saw, both in person and on social media, and heard over the last few days, especially yesterday, I can’t be quiet anymore.

Yesterday, after finishing my weekend shifts at University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philly, I was driving home to my parent’s house. I was passing Boat House Row and the trail on the river by Kelly Drive. The amount of people I saw on this trail brought me to tears, I’m not joking I literally started to cry on 76 in my car still in my scrubs. I had to have passed over 100 people on this trail, all within arms distance of each other, most without any sort of mask on.

I don’t care that it was 70 degrees in Philly yesterday. I don’t care that you’re “going crazy” inside your house. I don’t care that yesterday was Easter and you wanted to see distance relatives. My colleagues, in all departments at all healthcare facilities, and I go to work for shifts ranging from 8-24 hours long and work directly with COVID positive patients. We see how devastating this disease is first hand. We are the only people who actually see it at its worst since these poor patients can’t have family come and see them. No visitors to ANY patient in the hospital, including the non-COVID floors. We come home and have serious talks with our loved ones about how we’re going to handle this as a household. My parents and I literally had a conversation last week about how they are willing to risk contracting the virus, and potentially dying, in order for me to be home with them when I’m not working. My roommate in Philly who is a nurse has been staying with people she works with to not bring it home.

You assholes who think you’re above this are bike riding on a trail to “clear your head”. The most exercise some of you have seen in 10+ years. You’re going to friend’s/families’ houses and then going back to your own, breaking your quarantine and risking everyone around you. And bragging about it by posting on social media that you’re with people who aren’t in your household, at a house that isn’t yours. Going to Target and Walmart to just get out of the house, contaminating everything in the store and putting others at risk. Going to a freaking church service on a roof when they are broadcasting masses on TV that you don’t have to leave your home for.

YOU are the reason this quarantine is as long as it is. YOU are the reason people are getting sick and dying. YOU are the reason so many of my friends (and myself) haven’t seen their parents, siblings, kids, grandparents in over a month. NOT the government. I am absolutely BEGGING everyone to stay inside. If it is not essential to your survival, please don’t leave your house. You‘ll live not exercising outside for a few months, some of you who have been going outside have been preparing your whole lives for that, don’t start now. Take it seriously now, don’t wait until someone you love is affected to start caring. You want to post “thank you health heroes” on your social media? How about you actually give a rats ass about us and stay inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 13

Well said. and you are right. People are not taking this seriously. I have 2 kids that are in health care and are exposed to the public daily dealing with patients. Wake up people and do the right thing. Be safe everyone.

Edited by L&M

It is truly difficult for ordinary citizens who don't see the impact of their actions to heed warnings like this - until it's them or their loved ones at risk. And then health care professionals are expected to save them when they go down. At risk to their own lives, as we know that the incidence rate among doctors and nurses is ridiculously high. Over 100 doctors dead in Italy from treating COVID patients. This is a sobering number.

I think that most people get it, even if they screw up sometimes. The ones who don't give a crap are outliers. I hope. 

Thank you for the reminder from the front lines that we all need to stay vigilant. 

• Like 2

Chinook35 thank you for your service at a difficult time. Prayers and blessings to you and your family. I am also in a high-risk health field and well versed in universal precautions. I have a slightly different view of people getting outdoors (NOT Walmart shopping). First, vitamin D (sunlight exposure) is essential to a healthy body. We may be lessening infection rates or duration of illness by getting proper dosage of sunlight. Flu rates in Florida vs NY are quite different. Second, buildings in cities may be creating an environment for spreading Covid-19 (anecdotal -needs to be studied). People quarantined on cruise ships that stayed in their rooms still got sick. Historically, cruise ships would have a horrible time with Norovirus outbreaks because the virus particle is too small and passes thru ventilation Hvac filters. The Cornavirus is a small particle that also is too small for filtration by hvac systems. Guess what systems buildings use..... hvac systems. We MAY be making the spread worse by keeping people inside. I don’t want you to feel dread when you see people outside. There is much we don’t know about Covid-19. Stay safe. Wear your mask tight to your face and try to stay positive!

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 2

Right Gill. Now is the time to get fresh air, vitamin D, stay off junk food, exercise, and get some good ol virus killing UV light. Be careful if you live in suburbs, but if like me, out in Jefferson County get outside and stay off crappy old eating habits. Cooping up is bad after an already cooped up winter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chinook35 said:

Up until now, I have been extremely silent on my personal feelings on how the COVID-19 pandemic is being handled by the public. But I feel like after the things I saw, both in person and on social media, and heard over the last few days, especially yesterday, I can’t be quiet anymore.

Yesterday, after finishing my weekend shifts at University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philly, I was driving home to my parent’s house. I was passing Boat House Row and the trail on the river by Kelly Drive. The amount of people I saw on this trail brought me to tears, I’m not joking I literally started to cry on 76 in my car still in my scrubs. I had to have passed over 100 people on this trail, all within arms distance of each other, most without any sort of mask on.

I don’t care that it was 70 degrees in Philly yesterday. I don’t care that you’re “going crazy” inside your house. I don’t care that yesterday was Easter and you wanted to see distance relatives. My colleagues, in all departments at all healthcare facilities, and I go to work for shifts ranging from 8-24 hours long and work directly with COVID positive patients. We see how devastating this disease is first hand. We are the only people who actually see it at its worst since these poor patients can’t have family come and see them. No visitors to ANY patient in the hospital, including the non-COVID floors. We come home and have serious talks with our loved ones about how we’re going to handle this as a household. My parents and I literally had a conversation last week about how they are willing to risk contracting the virus, and potentially dying, in order for me to be home with them when I’m not working. My roommate in Philly who is a nurse has been staying with people she works with to not bring it home.

You assholes who think you’re above this are bike riding on a trail to “clear your head”. The most exercise some of you have seen in 10+ years. You’re going to friend’s/families’ houses and then going back to your own, breaking your quarantine and risking everyone around you. And bragging about it by posting on social media that you’re with people who aren’t in your household, at a house that isn’t yours. Going to Target and Walmart to just get out of the house, contaminating everything in the store and putting others at risk. Going to a freaking church service on a roof when they are broadcasting masses on TV that you don’t have to leave your home for.

YOU are the reason this quarantine is as long as it is. YOU are the reason people are getting sick and dying. YOU are the reason so many of my friends (and myself) haven’t seen their parents, siblings, kids, grandparents in over a month. NOT the government. I am absolutely BEGGING everyone to stay inside. If it is not essential to your survival, please don’t leave your house. You‘ll live not exercising outside for a few months, some of you who have been going outside have been preparing your whole lives for that, don’t start now. Take it seriously now, don’t wait until someone you love is affected to start caring. You want to post “thank you health heroes” on your social media? How about you actually give a rats ass about us and stay inside.

This guy gets it. I am essential personnel also. Drive to work, drive home, stay there. Go for my evening run alone. Call my dad and son. If everyone from the very top down had taken this seriously in February we could possibly be beating or at least containing this virus. As it sits now its going to be a long summer sitting on the porch.

• Like 1

I need to clarify this post. I’m not an RN. I copied it from a friends post she is the hero. These people stare the beast in the eye every day they need and deserve our Thanks and prayers

Edited by chinook35
  • Like 2

Best post I think I've ever read on this forum and I echo the message.  Im as avid as anyone out there and I'm staying home for my mom!  I wish the country could unite in this fight and put aside our politics just this one time for the sake of our parents and the heroes in our hospitals.  Maybe some of the restrictions arent what we think they should be but we all need to suck it up and stop being babies throwing temper tantrums over things that are far less important than life itself.  Time for all of us to put our big boy pants on and do the right thing!  

• Like 8

I need to clarify this post. I’m not an RN. I copied it from a friends post she is the hero. These people stare the beast in the eye every day they need and deserve our Thanks and prayers

The nurses and doctors that are still goin to work everyday fighting this virus deserve the same respect our soldiers do when they come back from a tour. They can simply quite and go home (like some have done) , but they dont. Tired and beat down they show up for there next shift.
When I pass a Vet I always acknowledge them. Maybe now the doctors and nurses deserve the same. 

• Like 5

Thats great advice from someone who is still getting a paycheck. Perhaps they should pretend that they can't buy groceries, or pay their property taxes, or car payments or mortgage. By the time this is over they would be bankrupt as a lot of us would be if we stayed at home.  I'm self employed so no work, no money. My occupation is dangerous. I have lived with the possibilty of a fatal accident for 40 years from my fault or someone elses fault. I don't need a lecture from someone who is only now facing  the possibilty of death from performing their chosen profession. If you don't like the risk don't do the job.

Stay at home .

• Like 2

I think those who are dealing with it every day face to face have a skewed view of the reality of the Virus as far as death rate and the danger. You are on the Frontline and if you are in a hot spot, you're perception is based on that. I respect doctors and nurses and all who expose themselves to give care to others. I believe far more people have the virus, or had it and recovered. Therefore, the rate of death is comparable or even less than the Flu. We already know the models were way off. Predictions of 2 million deaths have been lowered to 60000. The US had 61000 flu deaths in 2017. So, while I appreciate your service, I don't think you see the big picture, because you are in the hot spot. We need to open the economy before we go into a depression. Sweden is a good example. California has far fewer cases than NYC though Chinese travel to CA is far more frequent. Why? Could it be immunity? Bottom line: we can't allow millions to go into abject poverty and lose their homes, their livlihoods. We overreacted over an abundance of caution. It's time to recalibrate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Total respect for all who have to go to work right now.  Where I have a problem is with blanket comment

"Don't go outside".  I totally disagree.  Now if you live in an apartment then that applies in most of not all cases.  You are touching several communal surfaces and in many cases have to pass close to others.  I live in a house and can go outside without ever passing close to others or touching things the public will come in contact with.  The act of being outside is not the problem.  It's distance and contact that matter.

All good points.

Let me reiterate though that if you're ignoring social distancing because you are willing to take the risk of catching the virus, unfortunately you are also taking the risk of spreading the virus, albeit perhaps unbeknownst to you. If your job allows you to maintain appropriate distancing, that's one thing. If it doesn't and you choose to work anyway, IMHO that's morally repugnant. I hope everyone on here falls into that first category so we can avoid a situation like in South Dakota, where one guy likely infected so many and is responsible (God rest his soul) for every death at that processing plant. What a nightmare.

I agree that healthcare professionals likely have a skewed view of the severity of this outbreak, but let me remind you that the deaths we've experienced have been in the face of a near total shutdown. Without this, the numbers would have been staggeringly higher. And also - folks say this isn't much worse than the flu. Well...the flu is what killed so many millions in 1918. And the flu is one of the major recurring health crises of our time. Like any good enemy, it deserves our respect.

Finally, yes - we should get back to business. But it is inevitable when we do that there will be a resurgence. We need to be prepared to meet that challenge. Without antibody testing or ELISA, we just don't know how many folks have had the disease, and we'd be showing up at a gun fight with a knife. I suspect that you are correct and that there are many more folks who've had the disease than we appreciate. But we can't go with a gut feeling on this. It's too important. I'm as eager as anyone to get back. When my lab shut down, we didn't lose weeks of work, we lost months and in some cases, colleagues lost years of research. We need the tools to make sure that the second wave isn't worse than the first. 

I apologize if I come across as pedantic. In the best of all worlds, I'd be preaching to the choir. 

• Like 2

All good points.

Let me reiterate though that if you're ignoring social distancing because you are willing to take the risk of catching the virus, unfortunately you are also taking the risk of spreading the virus, albeit perhaps unbeknownst to you. If your job allows you to maintain appropriate distancing, that's one thing. If it doesn't and you choose to work anyway, IMHO that's morally repugnant. I hope everyone on here falls into that first category so we can avoid a situation like in South Dakota, where one guy likely infected so many and is responsible (God rest his soul) for every death at that processing plant. What a nightmare.

I agree that healthcare professionals likely have a skewed view of the severity of this outbreak, but let me remind you that the deaths we've experienced have been in the face of a near total shutdown. Without this, the numbers would have been staggeringly higher. And also - folks say this isn't much worse than the flu. Well...the flu is what killed so many millions in 1918. And the flu is one of the major recurring health crises of our time. Like any good enemy, it deserves our respect.

Finally, yes - we should get back to business. But it is inevitable when we do that there will be a resurgence. We need to be prepared to meet that challenge. Without antibody testing or ELISA, we just don't know how many folks have had the disease, and we'd be showing up at a gun fight with a knife. I suspect that you are correct and that there are many more folks who've had the disease than we appreciate. But we can't go with a gut feeling on this. It's too important. I'm as eager as anyone to get back. When my lab shut down, we didn't lose weeks of work, we lost months and in some cases, colleagues lost years of research. We need the tools to make sure that the second wave isn't worse than the first. 

I apologize if I come across as pedantic. In the best of all worlds, I'd be preaching to the choir. 

Nailed it.

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

This virus is nothing to sneeze at or take lightly.

If we didn't have a new flu vaccine every year it potentially would be just as (or more) deadly and many of you might not exist.

Until the medical community develops a vaccine and/or finds treatments that are effective and safe to treat it, we must do what is necessary to keep it from spreading. The more people who follow the guidelines to control the spread, the less the economic impact will be in the long run. It is as bad as it is now because too many people have not taken it seriously, including many politicians, business leaders, some media outlets, social media platforms, and even health officials under pressure from the first four. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain mistaken. With that said, If you can still work with absolute certainty you will not be putting yourself or others at risk, then maybe you can but everything you do must be done with best practices in mind. This is because you can not see it, you can not smell or taste it, you can not tell if you or someone else is carrying it and by the time you know, it will be to late.

There are more people dying from it than we really know because the testing has not caught up with the need and the only deaths they are confirming are those who have been tested positive. Not all people who have died from it have been tested.

Edited by muskiedreams

First thing thank you for what u do and your right a lot of people don’t care what’s going on they should put your shoes on for a day and see what is really going on all the deaths and suffering I bet u they would change their attitude then

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

As someone who just spent 5 days in the hospital for thyroid cancer surgery - completely alone 99% of the time unless I was being poked by needles, I can attest - you don't want to have to go to the hospital for this and be there all alone.

I'm on light duty since I have an 8" scar on my throat so I can't fish anyhow so May 15th won't kill me, but I can see how the rest of you are going stir crazy.

Stay strong!