Advice on starting a charter business

Hello all, so I’ve been considering turning this hobby into a part time income for some time now and I think it’s time to follow through. Problem is I really have no idea how or where to start on the business side of things. I already have a boat(no loan if that makes a difference) and gear. I have my 25t masters which I’ve just been sitting on(need to update cpr, get in a drug test consortium, and double check my twic card). I know I’ll have to get different insurance as well but otherwise I really don’t know where to start. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I’ve been mating on boats for some time as well so I’m not new to the game, just new to business 

I’m not sure why your not getting advice from the captains your mating for? 

Sounds like you already are in? Not looking for advice or opinions on whether you should or not correct?

I guess my two cents, I’m not a captain, but for what it’s worth seek out people you know that are in the business. They can really give you the ground work on what they did to get them there. You’ll have to decide if it’s a 1) just like seeing smiles on faces and breaking even ( must have another source of income or finances ) because you’ll go broke one day or 2) looking to be profitable. If it’s the latter, treat it as no different than starting in like a business.  Keep in mind hr for hr there’s a handful of captains that can make a living on it with out having the other source of income. Boy my heart goes out to these captains that literally break there back day in day out. Not saying you can’t but you probably already heard this tune. Good luck to your endeavors what ever you end up doing. I wouldn’t be upset about not hearing from any. Busy season as you know. This would be a great winter topic for them. There are many that will respond sooner or later. 

Bsmith welcome to LOU.  Pretty big question for your 1st post.  My advice do some online work on budgeting and business plans.  Do you have any retail sales or marketing knowledge?  You’ll need online presence and financial tools.  How long have you sat on your license?  If you’re 1st aid CPR is outdated that’s 2 years.  You might need to retest?  Charter insurance is not cheap- mine has jumped last couple years.  My advice-get some business knowledge before you jump in.  Lots of expense and hard work-can be rewarding for some.  I was told by an old captain when I started “guys come and go in this business so we wait to see if you’re going to make it “. Work on the business skills.  Lots of guys can run boats and fish.

For 90% of the guys that do it part time like me, it’s a losing proposition. Don’t expect it to be an actual part time job that can help pay the household bills. What you make will be going back to the boat. Parts are expensive and you’re a blown Motor from being in in debt. This sounds harsh, but it’s facts. I could go on, but I won’t….

• Like 2

My advice is do you. Everyone runs their business differently. Do what works for you. Are you going to make money doing this part time? Probably not. Could it grow into something more? Absolute. I wish I took the leap years ago and did it full time, but I was always too chicken and enjoyed my guarantied paycheck and benefits.

100%solid information from Scott and Rick. There are only a handful of full time guys on the lake. It's a tough thing burning the candle at both ends. The more hours you put on your rig the more maintenance it needs. 

I'll pm you my number . Feel free to reach out anytime.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started chartering in 1997 and the above advise is good stuff.  You will not get rich, you may not clear your expenses and expect to put in long hours, especially if you have no one to help you with the clean up AFTER the trip (forgot that part?)  If you truly enjoy helping other people catch fish, it is a great "job".  Your personal fishing time will be limited to finding the fish for the next trip so you can put someone on "your" fish.  I am over 70 and enjoy this so much that I am having an old Thompson rebuilt so I can spend more time on the lake instead of using my Starcraft to fish the river.  The river is good but I love that lake!

I have been a part time charter for over 10 years and everything they said above is true.    If you want to know where to start.  You will need to find a location to get you coast guard captains license,  and then insurances and you will need to have surveys done on  you boat for most insurance.  Also you will need to look into how you want to advertise.  The internet is cheaper but to get a good web page and be on the top of the searches will cost a bit more.  It takes lots of up front questions to get to where you want to be.   The one comment above about time is 100% true.  To be a charter captain you will need to put in a lot of time outside of the actual charter to ensure the soundness of the boat and equipment and safety equipment.    Don't want to discourage you.    I love it, even though you dont make much  profit doing it part time.   feel free to reach out to me if you have any question.     

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a charter guy but heavy sport fishing fresh and saltwater. I've done it my whole life but some years back I was thinking of chartering while taking a course on small business. I had to do a complete business plan for chartering and at the end disclose to the class what the hourly profit was. After figuring every detail I could think of and adding all the hours worked (not just the chartering but cleaning the boat in preparation for others, re rigging tackle, cleaning up messes in tackle etc.). When I figured it up after payment for all overhead I would make $2.79 per hour. I think the others in the class were shocked too when I listed all the things involved:lol:. In the end I decided to keep sport fishing and not take a chance killing my desire to fish just for the fun of it. Just something to consider. Either way follow your dream.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Basically you need to know how to catch fish that aren't biting and make sure your clients have a good time no matter what the fishing is. Do these two things and you will succeed. Best of luck!!

Edited by spoonfed-1

Starting off is gonna be slow getting your name out there is a big deal a few things to consider how do you plan to pull people in? How many trips to pay for regular bills Gas, storage, maintenance, first mate, equipment, time (buffing/ cleaning boat) weather.. days off in the summer is lost money if take off a week in June July august for family time / vacation then that’s a huge loss. A 6 hr day really is a 8-9hr day (getting gear ready and cleaning the boat).. a lot to consider. If I were you I’d start small take days off of work and book dates long weekends to pay for bills storage boat payments gear then see we’re it goes from there

There are plenty of folks including "lurkers" that may benefit from the info anyway given the large audience so the energy isn't exactly wasted I guess :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

There are plenty of folks including "lurkers" that may benefit from the info anyway given the large audience so the energy isn't exactly wasted I guess :lol:

I actually find it an interesting thread and have no intention of chartering or even guiding sometimes its already to much work or pressure taking buddies out but always fun to talk fishing

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To get things rolling, there are a few important steps to take care of. One of the first things you'll want to do is update your CPR certification. Safety is paramount when it comes to boating, so having the necessary training is crucial. Additionally, joining a drug test consortium and ensuring that your TWIC card is up to date are also important steps to take. Now, let's talk about the business side of things. Running a charter business involves more than just taking people out on the water. It's important to have a solid plan in place to manage your bookings, schedule, and client interactions. One helpful suggestion is to look into using project management tools for startups. These tools can help you stay organized, keep track of your tasks, and efficiently manage your bookings and customer inquiries. Along the way, don't hesitate to seek advice and guidance from experienced charter business owners or other entrepreneurs. They can offer valuable insights and tips based on their own experiences in the industry. Joining industry associations or networking groups can also be a great way to connect with fellow professionals and learn from their expertise.