Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone, I am curious about how well  aluminum boats ride on the big lake.  I had a 19’ glass  CC that handled great but was a heavy haul from lake to lake since I trailer it everywhere I go.  Trying to split the difference between towing a lighter load and still not getting knocked around too much in 3’ers. Would love to hear what you guys have and how they are working out. Thanks

I have a 19.5 and you honestly really have to pick your days. No way would I be fishing in true 3's and still have fun. It's really hard to maintain speed and if the current calls for u to troll into the waves it's a non stop battle all day

I have a heavy glass boat (21' Angler)  I would never go back to an aluminum boat......the trailering is a little harder but the ride more than makes up for it.  There really is no comparison in my opinion.....

I’m with Bandrus. I’m not out in 3fters if I don’t have to be. No enjoyment. If I’m living up on LO I’d be settling on glass maybe min 21 ft frame. I’m sold on the 19 ft alum due to fishing and trailering around finger lakes most of the time. If it’s calm on the big lake I can be there in 30min.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agreed Frogger.....

I have seen Starcraft Fishmasters that look to be 20’ or maybe 21’ that are loaded up with 2-4 downriggers and set up for big water. Does anyone have any input on those?

I bounce around during the year between Oneida, Ontario and a couple of the smaller finger lakes but would also like to take it to the salt for some bay fishing during vacations but no way I would drive the glass tank out there along with my family and a weeks worth of luggage. Maybe I can’t have my cake and eat it too but would to at least know if it’s an option.

I take my boat to the ocean several time a year......I fish Oneida, Cayuga and Ontario also....weight is the key.....

I bounce around during the year between Oneida, Ontario and a couple of the smaller finger lakes but would also like to take it to the salt for some bay fishing during vacations but no way I would drive the glass tank out there along with my family and a weeks worth of luggage. Maybe I can’t have my cake and eat it too but would to at least know if it’s an option.

What are you pulling it with?
My kid pulls our 25 Whaler with a V6 Ram with zero issues. Don’t even know it’s back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Didn't even think to ask that.......tow vehicle is key too!!

I drive a v8 Nissan Armada that pulls it fine but the gas gauge changes steadily as I go and 3/4 of a tank is sometimes used during one round trip from Syracuse to Henderson.  

Gas is cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Trailering is really about matching up the boat weight with trailer tongue weight distribution and having a wide enough wheel base on the tow vehicle and towing capacity to keep the tail from wagging the dog with smaller boats, and getting the right hull design for the boat itself depending on use or purpose . My 18 ft Whaler is much like a 20 ft boat and can be pulled by pretty much any pickup truck or SUV. I can launch it solo, go out in very rough water without problems and in the 18 years I have had it I have never had any water come into the boat from waves because of the hull design. Fishing rough water is another issue because no matter what size boat you are in when the wind is up and the waves are cranking you can't control your lure speed properly;although some may be more comfortable to be on than others. I'm convinced there are no perfect boats - just some that perform better than others at some things.  After all is said and done it is  always a compromise of some sort ;whether comfort, expense, purpose (s) etc. and personal preferences seem to guide that decision. Most glass boats and aluminum boats "feel" different when in them and once someone gets used to this (either way) it can be a preference or desirability factor too which can later affect "satisfaction":smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Have owned several aluminums including a 22ft.  I have a glass 20 ft now.  There is no comparison to the ride of glass because of weight.  Aluminum has gotten better as they have improved over time.  But everyone has their own preferences.  Towing kicks gas mileage down, often into the 12 mpg range or less.  Not going to get around that one.  And sure weight is also a factor in this but the vehicle is working harder to cover the same ground.   

Bottom line for me is to pick your days , after that go down the decision tree ie. what do you trade off one way or another ! I fish a 16 ft. aluminum Starcraft for the last 34 years and it has suited me fine within its limitations !

Many factors come into play !