Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby

Previous Canandaigua Lake record was 26lbs 6oz caught by Ed Neary in the 60's...  this one is not far behind the Seneca record, which I believe is 30lbs, ~oz.  Incredible!

I would like to hear the story. That fish is  really something. So many things had to come together to catch a fish like that, Being in the right place with the right lure is obvious. Having strong enough line . Large enough hook, Big enough net. The wind was really cranking up there today boat control would be tough.I am actually surprised  they had a scale large enough to weigh it.

There has to be a great story. Did you think you were snagged? Dis it hug bottom? Jump?  Almost to boat then back down.? !st time miss with net ETC.

I hope the guy that caught it chimes in. I wanted to go over and look at it. There was no place to park without blocking people in.

The guy gets a free mount. Hope he has a big enough wall.

The fish should receive a trophy for outlasting his peers from the dinosaur age:lol:

I had to get a pic myself. It was dwarfing the other browns on the board in the cooler.  Amazing.. 

Fishstix I had the same thoughts as It would of snapped my line as I only run 12lb leaders on my spoons. I also don’t typically run mags on the finger lakes if that’s what he used? If my son was netting that fish he might of got pulled in. Lol.. 

D11FB7E7-95CE-4697-A673-10419E73C845.jpeg

The fish should receive a trophy for outlasting his peers from the dinosaur age:lol:

How old might that fish be?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

36 minutes ago, adesalvo said:

I had to get a pic myself. It was dwarfing the other browns on the board in the cooler.  Amazing.. 

Fishstix I had the same thoughts as It would of snapped my line as I only run 12lb leaders on my spoons. I also don’t typically run mags on the finger lakes if that’s what he used? If my son was netting that fish he might of got pulled in. Lol.. 

I was told it was caught on a Bayrat!

27 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

How old might that fish be?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would guess 25ish years old.  The 34.06 we caught in 2012 on Lake O was 27 years old.  

17 hours ago, Fishstix said:

I would like to hear the story. That fish is  really something. So many things had to come together to catch a fish like that, Being in the right place with the right lure is obvious. Having strong enough line . Large enough hook, Big enough net. The wind was really cranking up there today boat control would be tough.I am actually surprised  they had a scale large enough to weigh it.

There has to be a great story. Did you think you were snagged? Dis it hug bottom? Jump?  Almost to boat then back down.? !st time miss with net ETC.

I hope the guy that caught it chimes in. I wanted to go over and look at it. There was no place to park without blocking people in.

The guy gets a free mount. Hope he has a big enough wall.

A laker jump?  That would be different!  

Posted (edited)

They do on the Fingers I've had a number of them do it over the years. Usually when they are caught high up in the water column.

Edited by Sk8man

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

A laker jump?  That would be different!  

I’ve had a few jump on Seneca, usually  the ones up in the column that you get trolling for silvers, 3lb range they come up and shake a couple times on surface .. they’re funny fish a lot of fight in them or very little

On 6/5/2021 at 7:22 PM, adesalvo said:

12# plenty for spoon fishing for lakers.  We run 12# and later in the season 15# for kings and have taken numerous high 20's fish on leader that light.  Properly weighted rod, in an experienced guys hands with a great reel and super smooth drag I wouldn't hesitate to run 12#.  That being said you would have to play the fish longer and your odds of losing it increase - so from that line of thinking heavier leader is better - but you pay a price in terms if bites normally - lighter leaders will usually outfish the guys running cable.

• Like 2

I fished on Saturrday.  We boated 15.  Biggest was 8lbs.  We were not entered in the derby.  I took one look at that fish at the weigh-in station and could not believe my eyes.  I've fished on that lake for over 50 years and have never caught a laker bigger than 13lbs.  I'm still shocked at the size of that thing.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

12# plenty for spoon fishing for lakers.  We run 12# and later in the season 15# for kings and have taken numerous high 20's fish on leader that light.  Properly weighted rod, in an experienced guys hands with a great reel and super smooth drag I wouldn't hesitate to run 12#.  That being said you would have to play the fish longer and your odds of losing it increase - so from that line of thinking heavier leader is better - but you pay a price in terms if bites normally - lighter leaders will usually outfish the guys running cable.

8lb & 10lb fluro for me... I went higher for a bit and caught fewer fish.  Went down to 6lb for a bit too but lost too many good fish.  I couldn't agree more, learning to play the fish, staying sensitive to it's moves using a very good drag system is the key.