Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

I finally took my first deer with the muzzleloader. After missing 3/4 of gun season due to Covid I finally started feeling better last week and I did a couple sets at the Farm at home with nothing to show for it.

This morning I headed south and met the guys from Camp. We kicked up a couple doe and a small buck at two pieces of state land. Then at 3 o’clock we moved to another small piece of state land and at 3:45 I was able to take my buck at 90 yards.

It was a dead center shoulder hit he ran close to 200 yards and I only had two drops of blood the entire way. If it wasn’t for snow on the ground and being able to follow his tracks I never would’ve found him

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.e68e92b2cee063d5ab4ad983095796c0.JPGIMG_0026.thumb.JPG.72e448395cd803a8a246ae6ac82b49d2.JPG

Snow is big time

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well never connected with the one i was chasing saw him with a doe this morning. This is the most I have encountered one buck and not been able to get a shot off (with the bow) I saw him 5 times less than 100yds. frustrating but only hope.to get his sheds at this point and see what he turns into next yr! Was a fun year glad its over. And. Blessed to take a ny stud! Now time to go do fun stuff with friends! Duck/goose hunting and ice fishing! Couple pics of the buck i was chasing. 55062.jpeg1118201729_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Congrats to all that scored this season!  It was a tough season for me.  I spent way more time in the woods this season and shot less deer than last year.  The good thing was lots of memories made and time spent with friends and my kid in the woods!  I'm looking forward to next season.  Thanks for making this thread again this year Rob!  

• Like 2

December 22 PM- Last sit of the NY season

40 Degrees

W wind 20 mph

partly sunny

Well the season end is here and one more opportunity to get my kid a shot at filling another tag. Wind was brutal this afternoon and I elected to sit on the North side of the field for some protection. Of course most of the deer came from the south woods. After 4, the big 8 made an appearance on the other side of the field from us. I told my kid to sneak across the field until the deer was in range and hope he can get close enough to get a shot. He crawled across the field. Got within 90 yards of the buck but when he tried to get in a position to shoot the does blew and spooked the buck closer to the woods. Being the last sit , It was worth the gamble. 

Looking forward to late season in Ohio in less than two weeks!

• Like 1

I hunted more this season than ever before, but with less to show for it. I think that the dry conditions this summer impacted deer movement on one property and a combination of factors affected the other, but also I'm convinced that the constant tread of boots on the ground left danger signals that the deer picked up on quickly. Even rotating properties and stands, we put a pounding on both places. But everybody shot deer, even if there were no real studs taken, there were some nice bucks, some great stories, and most importantly we were all able to enjoy being away from the sh$t storm of 2020 for awhile.

Onto offseason property management, which I enjoy as much as the hunting. No big projects planned for this year, but we are starting to develop a plan for a 13 acre field that hasn't done us any favors lately. A combination of food, cover, and screening for access are in order. It all begins today, ay wife and I are heading over shortly to cap small pine trees so as to protect the terminal leaders from browsing over the winter, something we do for hundreds of small pines every year to encourage "volunteers".

I hope everyone enjoyed their season as much as I did and has a safe and happy holidays!

• Like 1

Same to you Rob and the LOU crew. Even though I quit hunting years ago I've followed this thread since point one and have enjoyed it immensely.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man