Loaded questuon...

Bswitzer

Alright everyone...I went to Field and Stream looking to buy my first deer rifle.  I thought it easy until the question of what caliber to get.  Thoughts?  I am 3 years into hunting, not a pro, and I just need something to put venison in the freezer.  I went with intentions of getting a 30 06 until I saw all of the other calibers...6.5, .270, 7mm08, .308...

I don't have a place to hunt where I would be taking longer than a 300 yard shot and I wouldn't attempt it that far out anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks for any imput.

I like my .270 Win and the wifes .243 Win. I have a 30-06 that doesn't make it out of the safe. I would like a 6.5 Creedmoor but for what I do and hunt I'm good. My next might be a 25-06 (30-06 necked down to 25 caliber). 30-06 is a good all around cartridge with .308 ballistics. I would look and see which is the cheapest to shoot and go that route. I re-load so all my rounds are cheaper than buying in store.

What rifle you looking at? I like the Tikka T3 good accurate gun, by far the best trigger out of all the guns I have shot and owned. I have never liked Savage but others like them. I heard good things about the Ruger American one rifle I've never shot. Remington has gone to crap, if you go Remington buy used pre 1990s. Shot a Mossberg and I'll never pick one up again. They go bang everytime but fit and finish was junk and 3 shot groups were all over with 3 different scopes. 

3 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

I like my .270 Win and the wifes .243 Win. I have a 30-06 that doesn't make it out of the safe. I would like a 6.5 Creedmoor but for what I do and hunt I'm good. My next might be a 25-06 (30-06 necked down to 25 caliber). 30-06 is a good all around cartridge with .308 ballistics. I would look and see which is the cheapest to shoot and go that route. I re-load so all my rounds are cheaper than buying in store.

What rifle you looking at? I like the Tikka T3 good accurate gun, by far the best trigger out of all the guns I have shot and owned. I have never liked Savage but others like them. I heard good things about the Ruger American one rifle I've never shot. Remington has gone to crap, if you go Remington buy used pre 1990s. Shot a Mossberg and I'll never pick one up again. They go bang everytime but fit and finish was junk and 3 shot groups were all over with 3 different scopes. 

I was looking at the compass.  Something budget but get a nice scope.

I have most of the common calibers. But the 6.5 creedmore and 7mm08 really peaks my interest. I know the Ammo for the 6.5 creedmore is real easy to find. Dicks usually has shelves full. Both calibers Have light recoil and Are short action which I like for deer hunting. I currently use a micro hunter 260 for most my hunting and a Rem. 7mm mag. The 7mm mostly when sitting on the field edges and have those long shot opportunities. I think if was to buy one caliber for deer hunting now I would go with the 6.5 creedmore. The ballistics are great on it. 

Edited by nysrx01

I see that you guys from NY have gotten use to the Safe Act. Why would you support a company like Field and Stream or Dicks that wants to take away all semi autos, shotguns, handguns and rifles. Here in PA we hope that Field and Sream soon goes bankrupt. I wouldn't go there if they were giving ammo away free.

• Like 3

Any of the above works, '06, 243, 308, 270, and 6.5 creed.  They will all kill.  Depending how much you are going to shoot, walk around, look at what ammo is offered for what you want to do. (target, deer...).  You will see a wide range of prices between and within cartridges. If you aren't shooting more than 300 yards, my choices would be creed or 243.  Everyone makes these, can find ammo anywhere, little/no recoil and kill deer as well as anything.  Also, don't buy a gun from F&S, support your local gun store.  Most treat you well and will have you coming back for more guns...you can't just have one.....

• Like 1

270 is a great choice and its what I use over in pa, and everybody that responded to you has great answers for you to think about . The only thing I can ad is do you ever think you will use it for anything else ? Maybe Black Bear or a Elk hunt ? Good luck and put a good scope on it with some good bullets and practice with it !

14 hours ago, High Bidder said:

I see that you guys from NY have gotten use to the Safe Act. Why would you support a company like Field and Stream or Dicks that wants to take away all semi autos, shotguns, handguns and rifles. Here in PA we hope that Field and Sream soon goes bankrupt. I wouldn't go there if they were giving ammo away free.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, Bswitzer said:

Alright everyone...I went to Field and Stream looking to buy my first deer rifle.  I thought it easy until the question of what caliber to get.  Thoughts?  I am 3 years into hunting, not a pro, and I just need something to put venison in the freezer.  I went with intentions of getting a 30 06 until I saw all of the other calibers...6.5, .270, 7mm08, .308...

I don't have a place to hunt where I would be taking longer than a 300 yard shot and I wouldn't attempt it that far out anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks for any imput.

Thanks guys! When I'm ready, I am definitely buying from a gun shop and not field and stream.  

• Like 2

Pretty happy with a Ruger American in 7mm 08.  Killed a couple deer with it this year.  With short action nice light gun to carry.  Price was good on gun, but it needed tweaking to get it to shoot decent.  Had to sand down stock for barrel clearance and properly torque mounting screws.  Like the cartridge- as far as the Ruger American- cheap gun/cheap price.  It kills deer, but if I had to it over I would spend more and gotten a higher quality rifle with better fit/finish.

• 3 weeks later...

David Petzal says the 7mm 08 is the best deer cartridge of all time. Jack O'Connor killed most everything in North America with a 270.  There are many choices as far as rifles go.  Plenty of calibers that will get it done.  If you aren't going to reload I would choose something that is readily available with many bullet weight options.  Handle as many different ones as you feel you need to.  The last rifle I bought I thought I wanted a weatherby vanguard.  I went and picked one up and was turned off immediately. I just didn't like the way it felt.  I ended up with a tikka t3, and love it.  Lots of options! Which can be part of the fun.

I have to agree with DJ 17 on his comments. There are a ton of options out there, but the things to look at are 1. What am I looking to harvest with this rifle 2. can I do it effectively without destroying the meat or wounding the animal thus making it suffer, 3. If I get this caliber, can I find ammunition for it, and 4 Can I carry it without wanting to use it as a walking stick because the damn thing is too heavy/light?

I use a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved 40 Degree. Little to no recoil, the gun is built on a Rem 700 Action with a custom Hart Barrel and stock to fit me. I'd put it up against anything out there out to 400 yards. I have the luxury of being able to reload all my bullets so this is dialed in. Downfall -  all ammo is reloaded so I can't just walk in and pick up a box for a true wildcat round.

If there had to be 1 caliber for all N.A. Game, I'd go with a 30-06 only due to the fact that you can load 200/220 gn or greater for moose and bear, or dial it back to 165 gn and decrease your powder charge for whitetail, Coues and Mule deer.... 

270 is another great option here as well, but I think that you might have a slightly more reload options with the 30-06.... 

If you enjoy recoil, hydrostatic shock, and blood clots through your entire deer I'd go with a 30-06 or 300 win mag or wsm. If you just want the deer dead, less waste and less recoil I'd go 25-06, 257, 25wssm, or 243. 270 is a nice happy medium but still overkill. I've shot many deer with many different calibers and it is good shots that produce quick ethical kills not specific calibers! All of these calibers chambered in a decent firearm with decent glass will work just fine. It really is personal preference. Don't get caught up in how flat shooting a caliber is either because you have to play the drop at distance no matter what the caliber.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use a .270 savage and I have used it for white tail, mule deer, bear, antelope & caribou with 100% success, it is flat shooting and very accurate. My hunting buddies use a 30.06 and have had the same success so go with whichever one feels most comfortable for you. Good luck and have fun!