Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Thanks all. Truly a great day to be in the woods. Almost no wind and dry conditions had the leaves loud like corn flakes. Great for hearing deer coming and great for deer to hear your footsteps and want to see if you are a doe. I tried my damndest to stay quiet while hauling and going up in a tree in a climbing tree stand. Getting up in a clanky tree stand is not the most stealthy approach but I did finish the climb with minimal metallic unnatural sounds. I could hear deer moving my way as I was hauling up my bow. Hurry.......but no mistakes!  Back pack hung, get arrow out of quiver and loaded. Get your release on quick.....they are coming!  In case they heard my noise, and they were bucks, I grabbed my grunt tube and blew a few times while directing the sound behind the tree. They heard it and they are coming. First two bucks are 1.5 year old scrubs. One angles to the left and heads for my downwind side. The other heads upwind. The bigger buck chooses the path towards me. At some point the one buck crossed my wind or trail in and started walking stiff legged. Crap........don’t bust, don’t bust. The body language has the ten pointer on edge and immediately locks up stiff and watches the smaller buck. What seemed like an eternity, the buck finally moved after 15 minutes of complete motionlessness. He was very preoccupied with some ferns as the buck was tasting them for clues of a doe in heat. He moved like most older bucks do, like molasses. Painfully slow which had me tied in knots. He took twenty minutes to walk from 50 yards to 29 yards. He tried to pull a fast one doing a rope-a-dope when he put his head under a small sparse hemlock. He looked up at me twice through the screen of the hemlock but I was hip to his move as I stayed still with my bow in front of me breaking my outline. After watching the painfully slow progression of the deer, my heart was pounding. Then, he decided to move quickly....turning broadside. I drew quickly and grunt stopped him long enough to send a perfect arrow. He died 50 yards from the stand. The adrenaline dump was unreal. No amusement park ride could ever compare to that ride I was on!!  Love it. 

• Like 12

I hunt in brockport and it doesn’t seem to matter, there are slammers everywhere around here. Now, they are not easy to kill but I’m of the opinion that from conesus to buffalo there are as many big bucks as anywhere. Problem is it’s all private but the ag and apples grow these deer big.

I hunt in brockport and it doesn’t seem to matter, there are slammers everywhere around here. Now, they are not easy to kill but I’m of the opinion that from conesus to buffalo there are as many big bucks as anywhere. Problem is it’s all private but the ag and apples grow these deer big.

Beauty bucks are being harvested by many of u guys on this thread. Good perseverance by all an congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congratulations to all with your recent harvest. Got my opportunity yesterday while leaving my hunting spot. Spotted a buck that had a doe pinned down in the golden rod while walking out. Put the wind in my favor and started the stalk. While crawling on my belly I would stop every few yards to check his location. 150 yards and one hour later I put an arrow in the sweet spot. Not my biggest but Definitely my most deserving and hardest earned deer!! 62707142497__0046D515-0646-4622-BDBF-01AC6A4F9B3F.JPGIMG_3356.JPG

• Like 14

Congratulations to all with your recent harvest. Got my opportunity yesterday while leaving my hunting spot. Spotted a buck that had a doe pinned down in the golden rod while walking out. Put the wind in my favor and started the stalk. While crawling on my belly I would stop every few yards to check his location. 150 yards and one hour later I put an arrow in the sweet spot. Not my biggest but Definitely my most deserving and hardest earned deer!! 62707142497__0046D515-0646-4622-BDBF-01AC6A4F9B3F.thumb.JPG.e875d44cc53e0ee7440922eae7a9ee6c.JPGIMG_3356.thumb.JPG.f5935ec27685f5c3b6a99bbd01e14822.JPG

Outstanding!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

15 minutes ago, fishmandan said:

Congratulations to all with your recent harvest. Got my opportunity yesterday while leaving my hunting spot. Spotted a buck that had a doe pinned down in the golden rod while walking out. Put the wind in my favor and started the stalk. While crawling on my belly I would stop every few yards to check his location. 150 yards and one hour later I put an arrow in the sweet spot. Not my biggest but Definitely my most deserving and hardest earned deer!! 62707142497__0046D515-0646-4622-BDBF-01AC6A4F9B3F.JPGIMG_3356.JPG

Savage!

Congratulations to all with your recent harvest. Got my opportunity yesterday while leaving my hunting spot. Spotted a buck that had a doe pinned down in the golden rod while walking out. Put the wind in my favor and started the stalk. While crawling on my belly I would stop every few yards to check his location. 150 yards and one hour later I put an arrow in the sweet spot. Not my biggest but Definitely my most deserving and hardest earned deer!! 62707142497__0046D515-0646-4622-BDBF-01AC6A4F9B3F.thumb.JPG.e875d44cc53e0ee7440922eae7a9ee6c.JPGIMG_3356.thumb.JPG.f5935ec27685f5c3b6a99bbd01e14822.JPG

Spot on awesome!

1 hour ago, fishmandan said:

Quite the effort! Can't be easy crawling like that with a bow. Congrats on a great buck.

Marine Corps stuff right there !!!! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Update on my Browning trail camera under warranty...

A couple of weeks ago I sent a request to Browning to have a camera repaired. The IR functioned stopped working all together. I emailed the request along with a picture of the units numbers inside the case. I was notified that the unit was still under warranty. I was emailed paperwork to fill out and ask to ship the unit to them. Well a brand new unit showed up yesterday to replace the broken one. I have got to say, pretty solid customer service by Browning Trail Cameras, 

• Like 2

I was able to close out my NY archery season with a decent buck this weekend. It was one of those mornings in the woods you never forget. From 7:00 until 9:30 there was never a time I couldn't see a deer. Most of that time consisted of a 2 year old and 2 smaller bucks chasing a bunch of doe. At 1 point a could see 12 different doe in the group. At 9 this one joined the party and came in to 30 yards. It has been a great archery season for me. 2 doe early, an Ohio public land buck, and this one. Good luck this week to those still out there with archery gear and good luck and be safe during the upcoming war on deer that kicks off Saturday. 20201115_203233.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 9

I was able to close out my NY archery season with a decent buck this weekend. It was one of those mornings in the woods you never forget. From 7:00 until 9:30 there was never a time I couldn't see a deer. Most of that time consisted of a 2 year old and 2 smaller bucks chasing a bunch of doe. At 1 point a could see 12 different doe in the group. At 9 this one joined the party and came in to 30 yards. It has been a great archery season for me. 2 doe early, an Ohio public land buck, and this one. Good luck this week to those still out there with archery gear and good luck and be safe during the upcoming war on deer that kicks off Saturday. 20201115_203233.thumb.jpeg.8910b48437e6411577a1913dc7a4fda3.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Beautiful buck, congratulations. Way to hang in there and be patient!

• Like 1

Thanks all. Truly a great day to be in the woods. Almost no wind and dry conditions had the leaves loud like corn flakes. Great for hearing deer coming and great for deer to hear your footsteps and want to see if you are a doe. I tried my damndest to stay quiet while hauling and going up in a tree in a climbing tree stand. Getting up in a clanky tree stand is not the most stealthy approach but I did finish the climb with minimal metallic unnatural sounds. I could hear deer moving my way as I was hauling up my bow. Hurry.......but no mistakes!  Back pack hung, get arrow out of quiver and loaded. Get your release on quick.....they are coming!  In case they heard my noise, and they were bucks, I grabbed my grunt tube and blew a few times while directing the sound behind the tree. They heard it and they are coming. First two bucks are 1.5 year old scrubs. One angles to the left and heads for my downwind side. The other heads upwind. The bigger buck chooses the path towards me. At some point the one buck crossed my wind or trail in and started walking stiff legged. Crap........don’t bust, don’t bust. The body language has the ten pointer on edge and immediately locks up stiff and watches the smaller buck. What seemed like an eternity, the buck finally moved after 15 minutes of complete motionlessness. He was very preoccupied with some ferns as the buck was tasting them for clues of a doe in heat. He moved like most older bucks do, like molasses. Painfully slow which had me tied in knots. He took twenty minutes to walk from 50 yards to 29 yards. He tried to pull a fast one doing a rope-a-dope when he put his head under a small sparse hemlock. He looked up at me twice through the screen of the hemlock but I was hip to his move as I stayed still with my bow in front of me breaking my outline. After watching the painfully slow progression of the deer, my heart was pounding. Then, he decided to move quickly....turning broadside. I drew quickly and grunt stopped him long enough to send a perfect arrow. He died 50 yards from the stand. The adrenaline dump was unreal. No amusement park ride could ever compare to that ride I was on!!  Love it. 
Thought you were gonna say you were sitting on log eating lunch. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2