Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

37 minutes ago, fishshack said:

Same here!!  Not sure if they’re dead, got camera shy, with the ladies, or abducted by aliens.  

Big guys are tending does while the little guys cruise the edges looking for a sniff. If you're quick about it, you can jump on when they pass unsuspecting under your stand.

image.png.6f35d3ed56d3b1ee0c111dcf83af8deb.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, wishinfishin said:

Thought you were gonna say you were sitting on log eating lunch. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

never made it to lunch lol. Done by 7:30, deer out and caped out at buddies house before lunch. Scouted some new-to-me state land in the afternoon. Productive day. 

• Like 1

Alright guys shot a nice buck this morning at 33 yards. I am pretty sure I got shoulder blade but the arrow shows foamy red blood. Over 10 inches of penetration. I didn’t even track, just backed the heck out and gonna give it three hours. In the pics you can see I point to the penetration line on the arrow. Second pic is the blood with all the foam pockets in it. Think he is dead? 

1627EAD3-A306-486A-BF11-5AA0601029DC.thumb.jpeg.068a6eef40a24a75d2ebff8fd0b7b3ca.jpeg

EBCDE875-4090-4183-9DE8-2D29E89FF701.jpeg

• Like 1

Well sorry about the lack of reports but I haven't been hunting. Tagging out in bow season is something I haven't done in 4-5 years and certainly not something I am accustomed to. Id much rather be sitting in the woods this time of year but I have really been trying to give my sets a rest before the gun season. Instead I have been working my a** off trying to clear my schedule for the "second half" of the season. As it looks I should have the first 9 days of the season free from major work interruptions. 

Most of the time I feel like I am chasing my own tail and no where near prepared but right now I feel just the opposite. I am ready to go for the gun season. Not a huge fan of the season itself versus bow season or the muzzleloader season but as long as I have another tag you can bet your a** Ill be out there every chance I get. 

Not sure how many of you do this but I have devised a "plan" for the gun season. I have 5 primary sets that I am hoping to spend the majority of my time in. Wind will ultimately dictate which set I am in and the good thing is they cover me in every wind situation.

4 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Alright guys shot a nice buck this morning at 33 yards. I am pretty sure I got shoulder blade but the arrow shows foamy red blood. Over 10 inches of penetration. I didn’t even track, just backed the heck out and gonna give it three hours. In the pics you can see I point to the penetration line on the arrow. Second pic is the blood with all the foam pockets in it. Think he is dead? 

1627EAD3-A306-486A-BF11-5AA0601029DC.thumb.jpeg.068a6eef40a24a75d2ebff8fd0b7b3ca.jpeg

EBCDE875-4090-4183-9DE8-2D29E89FF701.jpeg

Im optimistic that he dead. 

What was your shot angle? Im assuming you didnt see him go down or hear him go down?

1 minute ago, Legacy said:

Im optimistic that he dead. 

What was your shot angle? Im assuming you didnt see him go down or hear him go down?

Shot angle was broad or slight quarter away. I did not hear him go down but honestly the blood was pumping on my ears so hard I couldn’t hear jack if I wanted too 

I would agree, more then likely dead as we speak, but it certainly doesn't hurt to wait especially with shoulder involved. They will bleed a ton for the first 100- 150 yards with a shoulder shot and end up being fine. If he's dead, he will still be dead in a couple hours!

Just now, idn713 said:

Would be my biggest bow buck, backed the heck out. I can’t screw this up. I’m a wreck 

I know it is tough to do but take as much time as you can. Good luck!

Would be my biggest bow buck, backed the heck out. I can’t screw this up. I’m a wreck 

Easy big fella, take a deep breath, looks to me you hit the boiler room. Plenty of time. Weather is on your side this morning. Plus theirs a battalion of soldiers on the ready to lend support. Enjoy the track. It’s all adding up to a nice job. Can’t wait to see him!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Plenty of penetration! When u track, go slow with another arrow knocked. just incase you spot him alive and can get another one in him. Track quietly as you can. (I see snow on radar if your close to where its going may want to give that an option into how long you wait it can hide blood on the ground) but. I think you will find a dead deer pretty quick!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On a sunny day I would say wait.  It won't hurt a thing.  Precipitation days I try to evaluate the situation. What kind of blood? both sides?  What does the hair look like? Any smell?  If you are going to rely on the canine I guess it doesn't matter.  But I would be very surprised if that deer isn't piled up just out of sight.  I had a doe go 400 yards on a solid hit which somehow only took out 1 lung but I evaluated everything after 10 minutes and knew she was dead just very surprised she made it that far.  But I hate to give advice when I have no skin in the game.  Do what you think is best.  I am interested more in the pics to come. 

1 minute ago, BSmaster said:

On a sunny day I would say wait.  It won't hurt a thing.  Precipitation days I try to evaluate the situation. What kind of blood? both sides?  What does the hair look like? Any smell?  If you are going to rely on the canine I guess it doesn't matter.  But I would be very surprised if that deer isn't piled up just out of sight.  I had a doe go 400 yards on a solid hit which somehow only took out 1 lung but I evaluated everything after 10 minutes and knew she was dead just very surprised she made it that far.  But I hate to give advice when I have no skin in the game.  Do what you think is best.  I am interested more in the pics to come.  

Didn't find much in the way of hair, but then I didn't really look for it. Arrow did not make it out the other side of the deer but I believe penetrated past 8 inches (shoulder shot). Blood was pinkish with lots of foam (that reads lung), no smell. The blood on the arrow tells me good shot, but penetration is my biggest worry. I believe bare minimum I single lunged this deer but in way that's lethal. But, as the arrow did not pass through, I ma not anticipating great blood, so I enlisted a dog and didn't even try to pick up the track. I want the dog to have the most unspoiled track that I can. 

Looking at your arrow and a slightly quartering away shot, i would say you hit just behind the shoulder with the entry, and hit the opposite shoulder blade (and as he took off he broke the arrow off with his shoulder on the entry side).  Looks like you got lung, and even better the arrow was still in there doing damage.  I agree that he's dead, but take your time!